PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Install Vista+XP+Ubuntu?

Camanalis
May 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Hello, I need some help.

I wish to install Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Ubuntu all on the same hard drive and have them all boot from GRUB.

I have an Acer Recovery CD with Windows Vista, a Windows XP Installation disk, and an Ubuntu Live CD. I can wipe my entire HD and start from scratch if needed.

I am fairly new with Linux, so I will need thourogh instructions. I thank anyone who will help me, it will be greatly apreciated.

tamoneya
May 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
well ubuntu unlike the two windows OSes is smart enough to detect other operating systems and to put them into grub for you. What I would recommend is that you install vista and then xp in any order. You should tell them to take just part of the harddrive(xp 20GB, vista 40GB) These numbers are very approximate. It depends on your drive space and how much you will use each OS. Then install ubuntu and tell it to use all the remaining space. It will auto configure grub and you should be all set.

Camanalis
May 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Ubuntu only saw Vista Last time I attempted this. I need to know how to modify GRUB to show all OS's.

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 10:51 PM
You have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst:
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
The rest depends on your installation.

housam
May 24th, 2008, 11:46 PM
You have to edit the menu.lst file and in win-xp section point the to partition that has grub.

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

change the following section

title Windows XP
root (hd0,2)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

to

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

because Windows does not install it's boot loader to the partition it is installed on, but normally to the first partition of the first hard disk.

If it does not work , read this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=805051)

meierfra.
May 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
install vista and then xp in any order

No. XP should be installed before Vista. XP does not recognize Vista and will overwrite the Visa bootloader.