PDA

View Full Version : What's the Firefox Add-on you can't live without?

Kosimo
May 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Mine is "Hide Menu Bar" It gives me more space :)

kef_kf
May 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
i like tiny menu, firegestures, and forecastfox but the one i cant live without is adblock plus. i wont use a browser if it doesnt support some sort of adblocking or wont upgrade to newer firefox versions unless the adblock is available.

RiceMonster
May 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Adblock Plus. The web is so annoying without it.

ajgreeny
May 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Adblock, certainly; I don't know how people manage without it. I also find TabMix-Plus extremely good, but unfortunately it's not available yet for the v3b5, so I'm having to manage without. It just means I need to middle click a bit more than usual to get links to open in a new tab.

Kingsley
May 24th, 2008, 09:30 PM
All-in-One Gestures.

mech7
May 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Firevbug... adblock

-grubby
May 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Adblock plus

cardinals_fan
May 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I use this awesome new extension called Opera... :p

klange
May 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM
swfdec-mozilla

chucky chuckaluck
May 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
tiny menu, i guess. i don't remember what else i have (fasterfox, mouse gestures and i don't remember the rest. maybe adblock? oh! no script).

tamoneya
May 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I use this awesome new extension called Opera... :p

I so agree. I use opera as well and cant go back. However when i did use firefox I couldnt live without mouse gestures. Opera just happens to have them already installed :)

nilarimogard
May 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have about 20 extensions i can't live without:
http://icehot.wordpress.com/2006/12/09/my-top-10-firefox-extensions/
http://icehot.wordpress.com/2008/02/27/another-top-10-firefox-extensions/

and a few new ones. for me, firefox is like an operating system so it's very veeery customized.

Kinst
May 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
At my uni, they make all the windows computers install this crappy buggy intrusive spyware program called "cisco clean access agent". Linux and Macs don't have to use it.

So on a windows computer all you have to do is install the user agent switcher extention and fake being a mac computer. :)

nekroskoma
May 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM
adblock plus and downthemall

its only when i get on the school computer do i realize the internet has ads

Dr Small
May 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
FireGPG; 'nough said.

Kernel Sanders
May 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM

:guitar:

reyfer
May 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
No Script and Foxlingo

lisati
May 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
For firefox: the foxmarks extension.

For windows: well.......there was a day when Windows was an extension to MS-DOS, which in turn was partly inspired by CP/M (anyone remember that? I have a CP/M disk for an old Commodore 128 which is gathering dust in the spare room)

Old Marcus
May 24th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Adblock Plus and NoScript as a bare minimum. I also prefer having the download statusbar and something other than the default theme.

mech7
May 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I so agree. I use opera as well and cant go back. However when i did use firefox I couldnt live without mouse gestures. Opera just happens to have them already installed :)

Opera has shity text rendering and menu's under linux.

capink
May 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Opera has shity text rendering and menu's under linux.

You can fix the way menus looks by:

sudo apt-get install qt3-qtconfig polymer

qt3-qtconfig

and choose GUI style polymer.

imT
May 24th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Adblock Plus

JAPrufrock
May 25th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Gspace

newagelink
May 25th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Definitely adblock. I think it might have gotten me banned from 7chan, but that's probably a good thing.

Spike-X
May 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Another vote for AdBlock Plus here. I'd forgotten how many annoying, intrusive, bandwidth-sucking ads there were on the Internet until Hardy/FF3b5 broke my extensions.

I also make constant use of Googlebar, Session Manager, and Tab Mix Plus.

grossaffe
May 25th, 2008, 04:29 AM
its tough. either its add block plus or video download helper.

smartboyathome
May 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Adblock Plus, User agent switcher, and Noscript. Nuf said. ;)

Flying caveman
May 25th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Long Titles

Spike-X
May 25th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I found NoScript to be more trouble than it was worth for me, but I can see that it does have its uses.

melrom
May 25th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Adblock, but I do love stumble upon. :)

though i used to love it a bit more before so many people joined that there are ridiculously stupid websites.

ma_nkooo
May 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
one and only Adblock plus

nilarimogard
May 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Another vote for AdBlock Plus here. I'd forgotten how many annoying, intrusive, bandwidth-sucking ads there were on the Internet until Hardy/FF3b5 broke my extensions.

I also make constant use of Googlebar, Session Manager, and Tab Mix Plus.

read the second part of this article: http://icehot.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/firefox-3-beta-5-reached-hardys-repositories/ and you'll see 95% of the addons work with firefox 3b5 and RC1 (don't forget to install nightly tester tools addon)

hellion0
May 25th, 2008, 09:13 AM
CompactMenu2 (because menubars are so Windows)
Adblock Plus (yeah, some ads are annoying)
Linkification (for sites where the webmaster doesn't know how to use an <a> tag)

altariel
May 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
flashblock and adblock plus

Joeb454
May 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Currently I have these installed - ReloadEvery & User Agent Switcher

In my windows installs I also have IETab installed (so I never have to open IE...ever)

ELD
May 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM
google browser sync, which isn't available for firefox 3 :'(

niceguy123
May 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM
firebug
adblock plus
flagfox
Tab mix plus

jc87
May 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Flashblock

Because allows me to only see the flash content i want, making Firefox way faster and stable.

s_spiff
May 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Foxmarks.... my bookmarks are sooooper important to me :P.

Spike-X
May 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info.

I think I'll wait for 8.04.1 though, or until FF3 is actually released. Wheat the hell they were thinking putting beta software into an LTS release *wanders off mumbling to self*

hellion0
May 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info.

I think I'll wait for 8.04.1 though, or until FF3 is actually released. Wheat the hell they were thinking putting beta software into an LTS release *wanders off mumbling to self*Notice how it isn't referred to as a beta in 8.04, though. It's not "firefox-3" or "firefox-beta" (to aptitude or the commandline)... it's just "firefox," just as Firefox 2 was just "firefox" in 7.04 and 7.10. The release of a "stable" version is likely to be sometime within the release cycle, so they added it so that it's all set to go in the repos without requiring backports or something.

Besides, you can still use Firefox 2 in Hardy... just look for "Firefox 2" in the menu.

Spike-X
May 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Besides, you can still use Firefox 2 in Hardy... just look for "Firefox 2" in the menu.

I know, but I had other problems with Hardy as well. I'll hold off and try again in a couple months.

ice60
May 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
i have loads i couldn't live without, i'd die without them. here are some that might not have been mentioned -

Bookmark this page plus - when you want to bookmark a page you navigate to the place you want the bookmark to go and click on the new option it puts in your bookmarks called 'Bookmark this Page...' (like in opera!)

Paste and Go 2 puts a go option in the menu to let you paste a url and select go - right-click - paste - and - go lol

second search when you type something in the search box a second menu appears, you select the search engine you want to use for that search while keeping you default search engine for next time.

Sort Bookmarks you select in the preferences what you want it to do when you click the option it puts in the bookmark menu, i use it to put all my bookmarks in alphabetical order with folders first.

URL Link make urls clickable that aren't clickable.

Toolbar buttons adds loads of extra buttons you can drag to your toolbars to add functions.

sub2007
May 25th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'd probably say Mouse Gestures but it's difficult to say. I'd also miss Tab Mix Plus, Secure Login and MR Tech Local Install (this does a lot of useful things so it's difficult to think exactly what I'd miss about it!). And not forgetting Menu Editor, I like to streamline my menus to get everything onto one line and remove all the surplus entries (otherwise my Tools menu is enormous!)

So that's 5 extensions that I can't live without, I've got just as many that I'd miss if I had to get rid of them!

oldsoundguy
May 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ad-Block, FireFTP, FlashGot, NoScript The three that I could not live without!

gn2
May 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Winestripe. Ahh nostalgia. :-)

Spike-X
May 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Ad-Block, FireFTP, FlashGot, NoScript The three that I could not live without!
*psst* That's four.

janfsd
May 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Adblock Plus & NoScript.

oldsoundguy
May 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
yea .. I added (edit insert) one and forgot the change!! LOL

cardinals_fan
May 26th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Adblock Plus & NoScript.
These were my favorites on FF. I've replaced them in Opera, but they're still great.

Living2007
May 26th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Adblock Plus, DownThemAll, CustomizeGoogle.com, TabMix Plus

bigbrovar
May 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Downloadthemall

Jose Catre-Vandis
May 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
For me

Linkification
PDF Download
Adblock
Mouseless Browsing (keeps RSI at bay!)
FireFTP
Download StatusBar
Download Helper

Also to pretty things up:
Hash Coloured Tabs
Colourful Tabs

Living2007
May 27th, 2008, 02:10 AM
For me

Linkification
PDF Download
Adblock
Mouseless Browsing (keeps RSI at bay!)
FireFTP
Download StatusBar
Download Helper

Also to pretty things up:
Hash Coloured Tabs
Colourful Tabs
What is Mouseless Browsing and FireFTP

Captain Oblivious
May 27th, 2008, 02:31 AM
My life depends on Firefox addons.
The must haves are:
Adblock plus
Noscript
Open link in
faviconize tab

esteckis
May 27th, 2008, 02:58 AM
1)Well being an Ubuntu newbie and trying Ubuntu on 3 computers that each one runs XP also, Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer is what I miss. In essence I have 6 different computers and when I find something in this forum or another website. It would have been nice to automatically keep the bookmarks synchronized on all 6 systems. But alas, the Firefox 3 beta does not let Foxmarks work even using the nightly tester build add-on to force using FF 2.0 extensions.

I evened terminaled and RM'd FF 3.0, was using FF version 2.0 for 2 weeks and I turned the computer on and FF 2.0 was gone and FF 3.0 was back with all settings and info lost (I still don't know how that happened).

2) No Script is excellent.

3) Tiny Menu to force ( File, Edit, View, History, Tools and Help) on to 1 menu button so I just have 1 bar on top with everything. Menu, address, search and some other things on 1 bar.

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 03:02 AM
What is Mouseless Browsing and FireFTP

Mouseless Browsing:
You can browse the internet without a mouse, using only keyboard shortcuts and the sort.

FireFTP: Allows you to manage and upload to an FTP easily from Firefox. I prefer Filezilla (a separate program) though.

oldsoundguy
May 27th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Filezilla will not work on some internet server sites. At least it did not for me on one of my servers. Whereas FireFTP did.

But, Filezilla is a great program if you want to run your OWN server (and can legally do so.)

pt123
May 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Aardvark it lets you clean up the page for printing so intuitively.

mustang
May 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Well said.

PrimoTurbo
May 27th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Adblock Plus by far, I tried the default Gnome browser Epiphany. Nice browser in general but with no adblock it's nothing compared to Firefox. I haven't seen ads for a LONG time now.

DownThemAll is also very very useful for downloading directories.

Trail
May 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Adblock + noscript.

k@e
May 27th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Adblock + noscript.

Ditto. I wouldn't use another browser if it didn't include those addons.

dasunst3r
May 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Flashblock -- there are some Flash animations (especially poorly-coded advertisements) that will eat my poor processor for breakfast.

Download statusbar

ReloadEvery (I only turn it on when I'm watching a Woot-off)

Lod
May 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Bookmark sync and sort. So you can synchronize you bookmarks with a file on a ftp-server. Thus having the same bookmarks at work and at home.
Unfortunately it isn't available for firefox 3.* and it seems that it is discontinued :( . Now I have to look for a alternative.

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
May 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Cookies preferences and Adblock. I just don't know HOW I survived IE for so long before I got Firefox and started to see that there were no more stupid popups or ads and I learned how often my so-called "trusted" sites set!

billgoldberg
May 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I don't have one.

The only one I use all the time is adblock plus.

But if it wasn't around anymore I could just use my /etc/hosts file.

philliptweedie
May 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Littlefox and Adblock plus.

The few times I use a browser without them its like travelling back in time.

I also use Personas to make Firefox fit in with the rest of my desktop a little bit better.

hessiess
May 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
flashblock and adblock-plus

chefweb
May 27th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Foxmarks and AdBlock

kenono
May 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Personas is one that I like, but the one I find the most useful is the photo album downloader for Facebook.
All you do is click the album and select download and it does the rest for you. Makes is easy for me.

c.ovidiu
May 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Vimperator, NoScript, Adblock Plus

caravel
May 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Adblock Plus, User agent switcher, and Noscript. Nuf said. ;)

^^^What he said. I also use flashblock.

guildofghostwriters
May 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
adblock plus
tabmix plus
mcafee siteadvisor
download statusbar
pdf download

Chame_Wizard
May 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
tabscope,download status bar,English dictionaries(US and GB,fasterfox,adblock plus :guitar:

gn2
May 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I evened terminaled and RM'd FF 3.0, was using FF version 2.0 for 2 weeks and I turned the computer on and FF 2.0 was gone and FF 3.0 was back with all settings and info lost (I still don't know how that happened).

I'm guessing you didn't lock FF3 to prevent it re-installing.

More info in the link in my sig.

woodsdog
May 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
While I certainly agree with everyone about Adblock Plus, I have to say Fire Gestures.

I want to invite people to really give it a try. It's so much easier to navigate the web with the gestures enabled.

I noticed that when I switch accounts (log in as root, or another user) I need to install Fire Gestures before I can proceed...it's that important to me. Yeah, Ad Block Plus is nice, but I have to have my gestures.

I used to be a big All-In-One gestures fan, but the dude never updated his code, it had bugs (spell checking got screwed up) and so I made the switch to Fire Gestures. I change the color to red, and I can't tell the difference (cept it's updated :))

Anyone else here need to have your gestures?

wolfen69
May 27th, 2008, 05:27 PM
While I certainly agree with everyone about Adblock Plus, I have to say Fire Gestures.

I want to invite people to really give it a try. It's so much easier to navigate the web with the gestures enabled.

I noticed that when I switch accounts (log in as root, or another user) I need to install Fire Gestures before I can proceed...it's that important to me. Yeah, Ad Block Plus is nice, but I have to have my gestures.

I used to be a big All-In-One gestures fan, but the dude never updated his code, it had bugs (spell checking got screwed up) and so I made the switch to Fire Gestures. I change the color to red, and I can't tell the difference (cept it's updated :))

Anyone else here need to have your gestures?

i totally agree about fire gestures. it is the best mouse gestures addon i have found. it rivals or even bests opera's built in gestures. right on! it is definitely a MUST HAVE for me also.

Kosimo
May 28th, 2008, 02:53 PM
After reading all posts in this thread, I decide to give it a try to: Adblock Plus and mouse gestures... WoW!!! This are two amazing add-ons, blocking all adds and helping me to navigate in a very very easy way... I think I now can't live without them ;)

This kind of threads helps me to discover new interesting things! Come on guys, let's find the absolutely top 5 Firefox addons.

1- AdBlocPlus
2- Mouse Gestures
3- Hide Menubar

Jose Catre-Vandis
June 1st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Mouseless Browsing:
You can browse the internet without a mouse, using only keyboard shortcuts and the sort.

FireFTP: Allows you to manage and upload to an FTP easily from Firefox. I prefer Filezilla (a separate program) though.

you can also setup FireFTP to run outside of firefox. once you have installed the extension, create a new launcher and point it at this location:

firefox -chrome chrome://fireftp/content/

There's a nice icon for it here

http://fireftp.mozdev.org/images/logo128.png

AmishFury
June 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
adblock plus, bbcode, useragent switcher is handy at times

WeeManDan
June 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
foxmarks is so useful for multiple machines :)

gloscherrybomb
June 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Adblock Plus and TinyMenu (Puts all the menus in to one menu button),

but the one no-one has mentioned is stylish, which I use to combine the stop and reload buttons. There really is no point in havng both!

jancelis
June 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I can add Live HTTP headers

bufsabre666
June 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
adblock plus is the only one i cant live without

other than that theyre all just to feed my geek

aaaantoine
June 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
NoScript.

One of the best things bout NoScript is that, because JavaScript is integral to most internet advertising, it's a multi-purpose blocker. I haven't had to worry about pop-up, pop-under, or blinking Flash ads since I've installed it. The only ads I ever receive are GIF or JPEG based.

289Shelby
June 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Prefbar and Adblock Plus

jjgomera
June 3rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I cant live without Noscript and adblock plus

Other interesting for me:

greasemonkey: to customize web look and content
Foxlingo: to translate whatever you want
bbcode: to format text using post quick reply in forum, blogs...
download statusbar: to visualize downloads state
MediaPlayerConnectivity: to extract easily streams

Installed i have some more, about... dozens :lolflag:

oldsoundguy
June 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM
for the users of eBay:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5571

nice sniping (last second bidding) tool! (and free, of course!)

And a lot easier to install and use than the two that come in the Ubuntu build .. plus will migrate to Windows if you run Firefox in there, too!