PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i cant install ubuntu 8.04 because it wont load intallation window

freaze
May 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM
i installed a second 250GB seagate hard drive in my computer(dell dimension 2400)in addition to the 40GB that was already there. i share my computer with my family, so i want to install ubuntu to the new one without touching the win XP on the old one. i installed it fine, formatted the drive, and booted from the dvd. ive checked everything about 4 times, both before i burned the disc and after, and its burned right (it says). it goes to the first screen which is black and says ubuntu at the top and has the options below that (try without installing, install, etc..) i click install, i wait, the loading screen comes up (the black one that says ubuntu at the top, with black and orange loading bar) that finishes loading, and this screen comes up: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30tm2pd&s=3
and it stays that way. no words ever show up on it, the disc keeps going, moving the mouse is slow or impossible. it stays that way usually for an hour or so, then just goes black. the monitor light turns orange instead of green, and nothing i do brings the screen back. ive tried 4 times, the same thing always happens. also, when i try 'try without installing' it always gives me a message about a gnome error or something (i forgot what) and nothing happens (ive checked the disc for errors a couple times, it says there are none) i dont want to try without installing, i just want to install. someone help me, please! ive been trying for 2 days, and i just want to get it over with. i know how to partition, i have all this free space, but it never even gets as far as asking me to do that stuff! frustrating.

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Did you do md5sum? Did you burn at 4x or less on CD-R?

freaze
May 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
yes, i checked it twice. i burned at 2x, and like i said i have checked the disk a few times since then too. i burned it to a dvd-r
though. a 120mins/4.7GB disk.

freaze
May 24th, 2008, 09:33 PM
also, i'd like to add that some people seem to have had similar problems on here, though they usually got farther in the installation than me.

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Where did you download your iso from? What kind os iso are you using?
I hate to insist, but the image you posted looks like a bad burn. OTOH, your new drive might be the culprit. Do you have a mix of IDE and SATA?

freaze
May 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM
well, im pretty sure my drives are both working right. i think i'll go back and burn the image again. or i'll try some other linux. thanks :)

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Try this for size:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ultimate

louieb
May 25th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Just Googled dell dimension 2400 seems that PC comes with 128MB to 1 GB memory. If it has less that 384MB memory the live CD probably won't work.

If it has 256MB memory then you can install with the alternate CD.
The alternate is a text based installer. Not any harder to use that the Live CD installer.

How much memory does it have?

Pumalite
May 25th, 2008, 02:39 AM
My bad. I'm usually the one asking for the specs in the first place. There should be a sticky signaling to the posters to accompany all their new posts with the specs.