PDA

View Full Version : Old P-X X98 Survey! what will run on old computers?

Omnios
October 22nd, 2005, 08:27 PM
I'm kind of making a small survey to get some numbers for Programming level marketing in BrainStorm (http://www.ubuntupeople.com/file/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6) on Ubuntupeople.com (http://www.ubuntupeople.com). Im hust trying to get some rough numbers on what people are running and what old hardware people have that runs or can win98 and possiblty come up with a suggestion for an ubuntu package for older era computers running win98. The original idea is to come out with a package for hardware that won't run Gnome or KDE but more powerfull than the requiremtents of Xfce and Xubuntu. Im thinking of something that has KDE like config and possibly closely mirror GNome. One of the main requirements is that it would be easy to use for a X98 convert that has limited or no Linux skills.

Please feel free to post suggestions.

xequence
October 23rd, 2005, 01:53 AM
I dont get it... You want to make a DE that incorporates gnome and KDE, but has lower system requirements then XFCE? That would be nice ;) Whats P-X X98?

Im hust trying to get some rough numbers on what people are running and what old hardware people have that runs or can win98 and possiblty come up with a suggestion for an ubuntu package for older era computers running win98.

An ubuntu package for people running windows... Now I really dont get it...

The original idea is to come out with a package for hardware that won't run Gnome or KDE but more powerfull than the requiremtents of Xfce and Xubuntu.

XFCE isnt all that fast for me.

One of the main requirements is that it would be easy to use for a X98 convert that has limited or no Linux skills.

Is X98 windows 98 or something? Are you trying to make something like XPDE, but instead of looking like XP, it looks like 98? Well, FVWM95 looks alot like windows 2000.

Anyway, I am probably just stupid not to understand what you are trying to do. It does sound interesting, whatever it is :P

Omnios
October 23rd, 2005, 02:32 AM
I dont get it... You want to make a DE that incorporates gnome and KDE, but has lower system requirements then XFCE? That would be nice ;) Whats P-X X98?

P-X is pentium x as in P2 P3 etc X98 is a way windows 95 and 98 where refeared to hence X98.

The KDE Gnome reference is not make a KDE or Gnome run light but make a Package that runs light (on harware that is not defined yet hence this post just to get a general feel of what people are looking for) but has the fuctionality theme manager, system and configuration similar to Gnome and KDE. As for harware Im currently looking at anyware 300 to 600ghz P2 P3s. For ram anyware from 64 megs to 128megs. This might not accompish anything but may write the requirment for a Linux designed to replace win 98 and possibly windows ME. Xubuntu is for a specific requirement what I am looking for is something between Xfce and Gnome. Possibly even a tweek that sets up Xfce with gnome components such as gnome pannel and the Gnomefile manager. But first the requirements must be writen before any suggestion may be done.

An ubuntu package for people running windows... Now I really dont get it...

Is X98 windows 98 or something? Are you trying to make something like XPDE, but instead of looking like XP, it looks like 98? Well, FVWM95 looks alot like windows 2000.

Win98 is becomming less and less supported with some drivers being very difficult or impossible to find. The software packages for 98 and dwindling offering less and less programs to be run on 98. The idea here is to offer a Linix package that a win98 user may choose to replace 98 on there older machine. One inportant aspect of mentioning win 98 is that though not coppying 98 it must be easy to use with configuration being as easy to do as win 98 and have a strong theme ability. In my opinion Win 98 *hack *hack sorry Gnome had the strongest theme ability which let me change just about anything with a graphical interface. These features and more must be present in a package that a new user may choose to replace win 98 with.

XFCE isnt all that fast for me.

This is more about form over speed. It may run faster than X98 but rather the main priority would be to to add a lot of fuctions and configuration and still run comparable on a slower machine. This also may allow for other features for machines with higher specs such as some low resource dock apps etc. Just because you have a lot of components it dows not mean they have to run in the background. With pre linking things may be quicker than expected for low stats, pre linking over ram.

Anyway, I am probably just stupid not to understand what you are trying to do. It does sound interesting, whatever it is :P

In easy to terms this may possibly write a requirement for a package for harware that is above the Xubuntu range but less than Ubuntu, Kubuntu wich it would have problems running on. This package can be designed designed for windows 98, me users who choose to cross over to linux with there slower machines.

xequence
October 23rd, 2005, 02:34 AM
Oh, I get it now :) It sounds good =)

Lovechild
October 23rd, 2005, 03:31 AM
My 500MHz celeron laptop featuring 320megs of ram, runs GNOME nicely - a little slow but no more so than Windows XP did on it (a friend of mine borrowed it and defiled it.. I promptly installed Linux on it when I got it back).

I see no reason for me to use lesser software on the basis that it would run marginally faster when I love GNOME and it gets the job done for me. That personally means more to me than it being snappy on a machine I already know is aging, if speed is a problem I would rather see that fixed upstream in GNOME - as is being done btw.