PDA

View Full Version : Good Pc Video Recorders?

EnergySamus
May 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hi
Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfl3oViny8

Now, what I wanted to know is what kind of video recorder did he use? It didn't look like he was using a video camera because it wasn't shakey.

EnergySamus

popch
May 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
You could use a tripod in order to avoid shake.

However, I think the video was recorded by a virtual machine. VMWare does recordings, and I suppose the other ones do as well.

klange
May 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Virtual machine and some recording software, maybe? Compiz didn't appear to be running, but he may have had an nVidia card...

diablo75
May 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM
If it were me, I'd use gtk-recordmydesktop, open VMware, create a new machine, start recording, start the VM full screen, and then edit the captured video.

popch
May 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
If it were me, I'd use gtk-recordmydesktop, open VMware, create a new machine, start recording, start the VM full screen, and then edit the captured video.

Probably redundant. VMWare already does all the recording you'll need. No recordmydesktop needed.

EnergySamus
May 25th, 2008, 01:19 AM
But I actually want to install Ubuntu on my PC, so VMware is out of the picture!

diablo75
May 25th, 2008, 05:35 AM
But I actually want to install Ubuntu on my PC, so VMware is out of the picture!

Perhaps you could explain what it is exactly that you are trying to record and why. VMware was mentioned for the fact that you can simulate real environments for the purpose of recording the install and running of Ubuntu (or whatever you want, for that matter). Are you wanting to record video of the actual install? Because if that's the case, I don't see the point. There's probably a a few dozen videos on the web that show the install from beginning to end. It's old hat.

If you're wanting to record video of your desktop AFTER you've installed, use gtk-recordmydesktop. You can find it in Synaptic Package Manager.