PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on embedded xp machine?

garethsimpsonuk
May 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hi ppl I really hope someone can help me!

I've salvaged an embedded xp machine. I believe it's a touch screen terminal / till / cash register thing from a shop.
I don't have the touchscreen (plugged in a monitor) and it all works fine (apart from it notices it's usual peripherals are gone).

The thing is it has no cd drive so I need to install ubuntu via another method. I'm finding it all very confusing so I'm hoping someone can help me. I've searched all day for tutorials and I seem to find a lot of conflicting info / outdated.

Ive got 8.04 server & desktop cd's. I'd probably want the desktop on there, I think the case is too small for my server (only 1 ide cable.) can I plug a double IDE cable into the motherboard?

Anyway since it's in a small box I will probably carpet the box and make a 'carputer'. I will eventually get a usb dvd drive for it and a touchscreen for my car but I just wanna get an os on there for now. I may change my mind and make it my server or home enterianment system, depending if I can expand / modify it. (for 4 ide drives for example.

I have a home network with a hardy server if that helps (maybe for a network install?)

While I'm here is an lvds panel for a special touchscreen. The definition doesn't clear that up for me.

I've spent all day researching this so someone please point me in the right direction.
The community hasn't failed this noob yet!

edit:- can i install it to the ide drive on another machine then just transfer the drive to the cd driveless box?

mikewhatever
May 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM
To install without a CD-Rom, check out here -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#head-ca8e337bdfab6bfa1d064371898775fe1e9e22fd

Theoretically, it's possible to install on another PC with similar hardware and then switch the HDD. I'm not sure it would work if there are major hardware differences, which may be the case with the PC in question.