PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing from dos

moklonus
May 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I have downloaded the Live CD version (typical download default). I can install in a VMware session by booting from the disk. Howerver I am trying to install it on a dedicated laptop with a faulty CD rom drive. So I have basically copied the cd contents to the laptop harddrive. How do I get the install to start? When I boot it says insert disk. The hard drive is formatted FAT32 and I can get to it with a FAT32 boot disk. Any help?

Thanks

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Have you considered unetbootin?:
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

overdrank
May 24th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I have downloaded the Live CD version (typical download default). I can install in a VMware session by booting from the disk. Howerver I am trying to install it on a dedicated laptop with a faulty CD rom drive. So I have basically copied the cd contents to the laptop harddrive. How do I get the install to start? When I boot it says insert disk. The hard drive is formatted FAT32 and I can get to it with a FAT32 boot disk. Any help?

Thanks

HI and welcome, you can find some help here with installing with out a cd drive
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#head-ca8e337bdfab6bfa1d064371898775fe1e9e22fd

moklonus
May 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I looked at your suggestions and I'm not sure about some of them (how to do them) and the ones that might look possible, are talking about using the ISO. What I have on the computer is the ISO that was burned to a bootable cd (non-ISO), and then those contents copied to the hard drive, the hard way - taking out the laptop hard drive and connecting it to my pc and doing the copy. I guess I'm looking for a boot disk or command that I can use from DOS to start the install. I looked at the autorun and tried running the umenu.exe and wubi.exe but no go. BTW, I'm sure you've figured this out but paint me N00B..

overdrank
May 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I looked at your suggestions and I'm not sure about some of them (how to do them) and the ones that might look possible, are talking about using the ISO. What I have on the computer is the ISO that was burned to a bootable cd (non-ISO), and then those contents copied to the hard drive, the hard way - taking out the laptop hard drive and connecting it to my pc and doing the copy. I guess I'm looking for a boot disk or command that I can use from DOS to start the install. I looked at the autorun and tried running the umenu.exe and wubi.exe but no go. BTW, I'm sure you've figured this out but paint me N00B..

Hi and I have not used the methods that I linked earlier but do you have floppy dirve on the system.There is one such method in the link I provided.