PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus Feature Based on BeOS Tracker

EdCrypt
December 14th, 2004, 12:25 AM
The user Nikola, on GNOMESupport Forum, posted a mockup of a cool feature to Nautilus, based on BeOS Tracker, and I want to know you what you think.
"In BeOS Tracker, right clicking on a folder will bring out menu thru you can navigate realy fast."
I think that we need a feature request or (better!) a patch to this.
Link: http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8302&highlight=

jdong
December 14th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it's cool in the short run, however, on my system, I can easily get folders with 10,000+ files -- especially poorly designed source trees. I'd hate to accidentally invoke that menu!

Nikola
December 14th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Yes, I agree with Nikola, that would be awesome. Just like him, I use BeOS...wait a minute... that was me who posted that on gnomesupport forum :)
I hope someone is looking, Nautilus is almost perfect, just needs some way to quickly navigate to deep nested folders other then crtl+l menu.

clasqm
December 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM
I used that feature when I was a BeOS user, and believe me it is the sweetest imaginable way to navigate your system.

But if you follow the link in the original post, it seems the Gnome devs are against it, and I don't see Ubuntu breaking ranks with Gnome over something as fundamental as this.

Nikola
December 14th, 2004, 04:21 PM
But if you follow the link in the original post, it seems the Gnome devs are against it.

Yeah, they think it would be problem with folders with huge list of subfolders. Tracker didn't have problem with it.
I think their excuse is bad one. Right now navigation in Nautilus is half-broken, IMHO. I like spatial, but navigating into some deep nested folder is PITA. Right now Nautilus is almost 90% copy of Tracker, why not copy only remaining Tracker feature?

EdCrypt
December 14th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Maybe a if the community show that they are wrong and that it is a important and much wanted feature...