PDA

View Full Version : Need some matrix help :P

aimran
May 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hi guys. I need some help with solving a set of simultaneous equations. I have three matrices, f, h and V. F and V are known. h is the unknown.

fi = f1,f2,...,fn

h = h1,h2,...,hj

and Vm,n is an m x n matrix.

An example of the simultaneous equation looks like this:

f1 = hj * V1,j ..................j = 1,2,...,r

f2 = hj * V2,j ..................j = 1,2,...,r

My assumptions are that since f is a scalar, h must be a row matrix and V is a column matrix since that will give a sum equal to f. IE: V must be transposed from a m x n matrix to a n x m matrix.

I've now transposed V, giving v. What I tried to do to find f so far:

f*v'*inv(v*v') = h*v*v'*inv(v*v')

But of course, the inverse of a matrix times by its transpose is going to give a singular matrix.

So does anyone have an alternative solution?

red_Marvin
May 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I have some difficulties getting what you mean due to the lack of proper math scripting methods available in the forum but I think this is what you mean/want, or maybe at least is to some use? I wrote it in the equation editor of open office (oomath), so to view it just paste the code there. It is possible that I've swapped rows with columns or somesuch but I did a little test run in octave and it seems to have worked...

"If you have an equation system of the type" newline
y_1 ~=~ a_11 x_1 ~+~ a_12 x_2 ~+~ dotsaxis ~+~ a_1n x_n newline
y_2 ~=~ a_21 x_1 ~+~ a_22 x_2 ~+~ dotsaxis ~+~ a_2n x_n newline
dotsvert newline
y_m ~=~ a_m1 x_1 ~+~ a_m2 x_2 ~+~ dotsaxis ~+~ a_mn x_n newline newline
"where y and a is known, it can be represented and solved on matrix form like this" newline
Y ~=~ left( matrix{ y_1 ## y_2 ## dotsvert ## y_m} right) ~~~~~~
X ~=~ left( matrix {x_1 ## x_2 ## dotsvert ## x_n } right) ~~~~~~
A ~=~ left( matrix {a_11 # dotsaxis # a_1n ##
dotsvert # dotsdown # dotsvert ##
a_m1 # dotsaxis # a_mn} right) newline newline
Y~=~AX newline newline
drarrow ~ A^{-1}Y ~=~ A^{-1}AX ~~=~~ A^{-1}Y ~=~ IX ~=~ X newline newline
drarrow ~ X ~=~ A^{-1}Y

Mazza558
May 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Need some matrix help :P

Take either the Red Pill or Blue Pill. The choice is yours.

urgnom
May 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Latex notation usually works among nerds....

aimran
May 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks Marvin, I seem to have missed to mention that my matrices aren't square. Which is why i forced a square matrix by multiplying it with its transpose, then finding an inverse.

aimran
May 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Latex notation usually works among nerds....

Whats that suppose to mean lol

Barrucadu
May 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Whats that suppose to mean lol

LaTeX: A language for typesetting things, particularly good for maths. For example, the quadratic formula would be:

$${-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}} \over 2a$$
\end

LaTeX source code is passed through an interpreter to generate a DVI, PDF, or PS file.

aimran
May 24th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Yes I know what Latex is :/ Just wondering what his reference to it meant. Marvin was using OOo Writer formula not latex.

perce
May 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Just wondering what his reference to it meant. Marvin was using OOo Writer formula not latex.

It means that fewer people will be able to understand his message if he uses an obscure notation.

original_jamingrit
May 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
It means that fewer people will be able to understand his message if he uses an obscure notation.

Which is unfortunate, LaTeX is pretty cool and should be more widely used. But it's not WYSIWYG, so it is obscure.

perce
May 24th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Which is unfortunate, LaTeX is pretty cool and should be more widely used. But it's not WYSIWYG, so it is obscure.

I was actually referring to ooffice equations writer, LaTeX is the standard in Mathematics.

perce
May 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hi guys. I need some help with solving a set of simultaneous equations. I have three matrices, f, h and V. F and V are known. h is the unknown.

fi = f1,f2,...,fn

h = h1,h2,...,hj

and Vm,n is an m x n matrix.

An example of the simultaneous equation looks like this:

f1 = hj * V1,j ..................j = 1,2,...,r

f2 = hj * V2,j ..................j = 1,2,...,r

My assumptions are that since f is a scalar, h must be a row matrix and V is a column matrix since that will give a sum equal to f. IE: V must be transposed from a m x n matrix to a n x m matrix.

I've now transposed V, giving v. What I tried to do to find f so far:

f*v'*inv(v*v') = h*v*v'*inv(v*v')

But of course, the inverse of a matrix times by its transpose is going to give a singular matrix.

So does anyone have an alternative solution?

Gauss elimination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_elimination

it's the only viable method for solving linear system of a certain complexity.

Glucklich
May 25th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Take either the Red Pill or Blue Pill. The choice is yours.

"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
Classic. LOL

Edit: For me it wouldn't be a tough choice. Knowing the truth, have a lot of trouble but score Trinity or wake up, go to the disco and score a random drunken chick? Besides the fact that I'm a lazy ***, I didn't found Trinity that hot (at least for the stuff I had to do). So, the blue pill would be definitely my choice.

Tundro Walker
May 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
What class are you taking in college that gives you homework like this?

I want to know, so I can be sure to avoid it.

aimran
May 25th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Lol it's just simple matrix operations, shouldn't be hard. I'm trying to follow the inverse matrix method which doesn't seem to be working.

However, as perce suggested, Gaussian might work. I've been avoiding that :P. I have a reasonably large matrix and implementing Gauss code in Matlab is :mad:

urgnom
May 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Gauss elimination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_elimination

it's the only viable method for solving linear system of a certain complexity.

I know this is pretty old... but, Gaussian elimination is one of many methods - there are lots of numerical methods for linear algebra!