PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problems 8.04

KRUNCH
May 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Well hello , I'm having a hard time installing ubuntu on one of my computers , I did it successfuly a few times and works great.
The problem is that the instalation just hangs after the loading screen (the place where it should ask you for the timezone...)
I tried various things and it didn't work.When I try the option
-Try Ubuntu without any changes
it shows me the error:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon."

and doesn't let me close the error dialogue.I've searched the forum and googled alot but didn't find anything that usefull.

Oh and the pc configuration is

Intel Celeron 1,4 Ghz
512 MB (i think SDRAM)
some ol' intel Mobo with integrated graphics card with 128 MB.

Thanks in advance.

animefan82
May 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
How long did you wait? When installing from a liveCD I define "hang" as 10 minutes or more.

I had a similar experience when installling hardy, but for me it hanged after choosing the keyboard type. It was hanging for about half an hour (at most), but mostly for 5 minutes (I had an entirely different problem which forced me to try installing hardy several times).

KRUNCH
May 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well in my terms hang means 30min - 1 hour , i actualy let it once go for 2 h so i dunno what to do.Wich keyboard did you chose , i took the English USA one.

animefan82
May 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I chose the norwegian one, both before entering the setup (F3 at livecd boot-up) and when installing. It does, however, sound like it'll hang again regardless of keyboard settings, but i guess it's worth a try...