PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install this driver?

lkarmaz2
May 24th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Hey everybody, I have fallen in love with Linux and I have been running it no problem, but I want to set up a wireless card. I found the card and checked to make sure it had drivers. Here is a link to the .tar ftp://66.104.77.130/cn/wlan/rtl8185_linux_26%5B1%5D.1027.0823.2007.tar.gz
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif I may love linux, but I am a complete noob, so give me EXACT instructions on how to install it. I found a readme with instructions in it, but I can't run the script.
Make sure you list every little step, don't assume I know anything.

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM
This might help:
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

binary00mind
May 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Hey everybody, I have fallen in love with Linux and I have been running it no problem, but I want to set up a wireless card. I found the card and checked to make sure it had drivers. Here is a link to the .tar ftp://66.104.77.130/cn/wlan/rtl8185_linux_26%5B1%5D.1027.0823.2007.tar.gz
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif I may love linux, but I am a complete noob, so give me EXACT instructions on how to install it. I found a readme with instructions in it, but I can't run the script.
hi I don't know your driver (or card). I downloaded and will take a peek. But You can try something else. Get Windows version of this driver. From regular Add & Remove software Menu, get package named "Windows Wireless Drivers" (You may have to set the option "All available packages sources" , I am not sure now ) after installation click add "DRIVER" And You Simply navigate or lead to location of the driver and click on it. The extension is [.inf] It will tell You right the way if it is good or acceptable. I use driver installed exactly that way. It is Broadcom driver and works better then the Ubuntu restricted replacment, the bcm43xx plus the firmware. I hope it will work for You, as it did for me.

Cap'n Skyler
May 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
hi I don't know your driver (or card). I downloaded and will take a peek. But You can try something else. Get Windows version of this driver. From regular Add & Remove software Menu, get package named "Windows Wireless Drivers" (You may have to set the option "All available packages sources" , I am not sure now ) after installation click add "DRIVER" And You Simply navigate or lead to location of the driver and click on it. The extension is [.inf] It will tell You right the way if it is good or acceptable. I use driver installed exactly that way. It is Broadcom driver and works better then the Ubuntu restricted replacment, the bcm43xx plus the firmware. I hope it will work for You, as it did for me.

i believe you will need ndiswrapper--this is how my set up is :)
for a windows exe file,you may well end up having to open it and burn to cd on a windows computer then to your 'Buntu add the cd and use the XP INF file for the driver .

good luck and welcome to the forums and post up how it went :)

Cap'n Skyler
May 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM

hey !! welcome to the light side...leave the windows world of darkness :guitar:
and welcome to teh forumz

binary00mind
May 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM
i believe you will need ndiswrapper--this is how my set up is :)
for a windows exe file,you may well end up having to open it and burn to cd on a windows computer then to your 'Buntu add the cd and use the XP INF file for the driver .

good luck and welcome to the forums and post up how it went :)
My Broadcome came as exe also..Just use some imagination..and I Just had the package to deliver...Oh Well

lkarmaz2
May 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hey, I actually bought this card because it was designed for Linux, and has native Linux drivers available. I currently have a 50ft Ethernet cable hooked into this computer. BTW, I know this has nothing to do with this, but the computer I installed this on has Quad SLI graphics and Windows Vista doesn't support SLI very well, but Linux recognized them right away. I am so happy I switched. I also used Wine and figured out how to run BioShock and I can run it better than in windows. I LOVE UBUNTU!!!

Pumalite
May 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu.

lkarmaz2
May 26th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Thanks, problem solved. I used Ndiswrapper. I own a Medium-Sized business and I started preparing to move our servers to Linux after I discussed the enhanced stability with our Sys Admin.