PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] A canadian laptop in Japan - Power converter?

original_jamingrit
May 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I have a buddy who's taking his laptop to Japan, for several months. I know their lines have a slightly different current, and that a Japanese device needs a converter to step up from 100 to 120, but does my buddy need something to step down?

Steve413z
May 24th, 2008, 02:17 AM
North American power uses 110-120 volts (60 hertz) normally (it varies)
Japan uses 100 volts @ 50 hertz

He should look at the power adapter on his laptop for the proper input voltage, I just looked at my thinkpad's and it says it works at 100 volts
and it says 50 hz is ok too

edit: i just checked some other power adapters, those say it's ok too

Sef
May 24th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I have a buddy who's taking his laptop to Japan, for several months. I know their lines have a slightly different current, and that a Japanese device needs a converter to step up from 100 to 120, but does my buddy need something to step down?

No. Laptops are designed to be run from 110 volts to 240 volts. Only thing that would be needed would be an adapter, so he can plug the computer into the wall socket.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets):

(Pics at the website.)

JIS C 8303, Class II (Japanese 15 A/100 V ungrounded)

The Japanese plug and socket are identical to NEMA 1-15. However, the Japanese system incorporates stricter dimensional requirements for the plug housing, different marking requirements, and mandatory testing and approval by MITI or JIS.[8]

Some older Japanese outlets and multiplug adapters are non-polarized -- the slots in the sockets are the same size - and will only accept non-polarized plugs. Japanese plugs should be able to fit into modern North American outlets without trouble, but North American appliances with polarized plugs may require adapters or replacement non-polarized plugs to connect to older Japanese outlets; or even replacement of the wall socket itself.

Japanese standard wire sizes and the resulting current ratings are somewhat different from those used elsewhere in the world. Japanese voltage is only 100 volts - lower than American voltage - and the frequency in eastern Japan is only 50 hertz instead of 60, so even if a North American plug can be inserted into a Japanese socket, it does not always mean the device will work properly.

JIS C 8303, Class I (Japanese 15 A/100 V grounded)

Japan also uses a Type B plug similar to the North American one.[8] However it is less common than its Type A equivalent.

original_jamingrit
May 24th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I should have thought to look there in the first place :P. It says 100 - 240 V, so it should be good to go. Thanks a lot!

original_jamingrit
May 24th, 2008, 02:23 AM
No. Laptops are designed to be run from 110 volts to 240 volts. Only thing that would be needed would be an adapter, so he can plug the computer into the wall socket.

(Pics at the website.)

Oh, okay, thanks. But now I'm just confused...

original_jamingrit
May 24th, 2008, 02:25 AM
The adapter also says it runs 50-60 Hz. That should be cool then, right?

Steve413z
May 24th, 2008, 02:26 AM

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets):

(Pics at the website.)

push harder! it will fit!

it can't be much difforent than those hospital grade electrical outlet that take like 15 pounds of force to pull out of the wall

original_jamingrit
May 24th, 2008, 02:41 AM
It should be cool then, since it's a two-pronged non-polarized plug.

Steve413z
May 24th, 2008, 03:33 AM
It should be cool then, since it's a two-pronged non-polarized plug.

i think if he really has to, he might have to file it down a little at the worst, but looking at the plugs on my laptops, they don't look like they are even polarized