PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How long does it take to install Ubuntu 7.04?

wierdo
May 24th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.04 on an IBM ThinkPad (512 RAM, 1.6 ghz, not sure about HDD, but it's at least 20GB) and when I select "Start or Install Ubuntu" it says that it loads a couple things, brings up a loading menu which moves the orange bar back and forth for a bit, says it's installing some more stuff, and then pretty much sat there for about 30 mins before I pretty much gave up on it for the time being. Is this abnormal, or am I being too impatient?

Oh and I don't have the power cord for this laptop. :mad:

EDIT: Yes, too impatient. :)

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Post your memory and graphics. Your laptop might be going into hibernation too.

wierdo
May 24th, 2008, 01:48 AM
It's not hibernation; I was impatient.

It's at a screen now that gives information about ubuntu and at the bottom says ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ f I read it correctly.

Is there anything I must do at this point?

Apparently impatient again. :redface:

abn91c
May 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM
if you from start from scratch and your HDD is defraged it will take 30 to 45 minutes for the install to complete if you select the "use the entire disk" option

Pumalite
May 24th, 2008, 01:56 AM
It's not hibernation; I was impatient.

It's at a screen now that gives information about ubuntu and at the bottom says ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ f I read it correctly.

Is there anything I must do at this point?
You might have installed the Server Edition (only command line). If you want a GUI; try:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

wierdo
May 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I was impatient all along. Anyways, now that I have the cord I'm at the "Prepare partitons" part of the install. I have Device Type Mount point Format? Size and Used with a big blank box below it. What should I do now?

zvacet
May 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Here (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/installing#partitioning) is good partitioning guide.