PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of Avatar Policy Requested

HotShotDJ
May 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I recently changed my Avatar to a very tastful face-picture of U.S. Senator and Presidential Candidate Barack Obama. Forum Moderator LaRosa sent me a private message (also quite tasteful and polite) asking me to change the Avatar, citing the following forum policy:

13. Forum signatures are limited to three lines of text, 10pt maximum font size. Signatures are also not a place for inappropriate material such as attacks, slander, harassment, political or religious remarks. We regret that users are not allowed to use images in their signatures (see staff signature guidelines below in Section III for an exception to this policy). The use of political images in avatars is also prohibited.I have complied with the request by restoring my previous Avatar which has never elicited a complaint from the Forum Staff (and still hasn't, to the best of my knowledge.

Of course my current Avatar is also a political statement, as is Forum Staff member macogw's (a message I also endorse, btw). Please clarify Forum policy on this matter. Is an Avatar that indicates support for certain ideas or people permitted or is it not?

Thank you for your attention to this question.

matthew
May 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
What we are really going for with this policy is an attempt to keep things like election discussions from diverting attention away from our forum's true purpose: tech support for Ubuntu Linux.

This policy is pretty loosely enforced much of the time, meaning we are glad to give some leeway for things that we have not seen give rise to excessive or irritating arguments. Avatars like your current one, which I have seen you use for some time, and like macogw's haven't seemed to give rise to any of this, so we have been happy to leave them. Avatars that are endorsing specific political candidates, unfortunately, have given rise to those problems. To be as fair as possible, we have made it our policy to politely request all users not use "vote for my candidate" type avatars or signatures and would even prefer that images of the candidates not be used for the same reason.

Another reason is that this is an international forum, and we would prefer to keep topics that are restricted to only one nation to a minimum.

Anyway, I hope that helps clear things up a little bit. :)

HotShotDJ
May 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Anyway, I hope that helps clear things up a little bit. :)Yes, it does and thank you.