PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Nova T 500 Mythbuntu cant get it to work

vapd
May 23rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
I will start at the beginning.

When I installed Ubuntu Hardy on my mutimedia centre (to be) I had no problems except that the TV card (nova T 500, with only one aerial so should not be the unsupported diversity model) would not install.

Since I installed Mythbuntu Hardy I have had a problem that rears its head on startup. Often (but not quite every time) I startup or restart Mythbuntu wants to run a routine disk check. If I let it complete it then boots into Mythbuntu as normal. Once or twice, when I have skipped the test, it fails to boot properly and I end up staring at a blank screen with a mouse cursor. The cursor moves but nothing else happens. Most of the time, even if I skip it boots normally.

The drive is a Western Digital SATA2 drive on an onboard SATA1 controller on an Abit An7.

I have run a quick and an extended test on the drive using WD software and both tests passed with no errors.

I have reinstalled Mythbuntu but the problem persists.

After enabling the LNA (as per some advice I have recieved) I then set up the Myth backend as this guy has done:

http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php

When channel scanning I am getting about 48% signal strength on the channels it picks up. I am using the same aerial that would otherwise be plugged into the freeview box we normally use and that cheapo box gets about 80%.

When I select watch TV from the Myth front end I am getting no sound (at least on this install) and no picture :(

On the previous install I was getting clear sound for about a second and then it was really stuttery. I mean so stuttery that you couldnt understand a single word. The picture seemed to stay as a single frame.

When I pop in a DVD and attempt to use Myth to play it then basically the same happens.

I have tried using the flxgr driver for the ATI 9800se AGP card. But it seems the same.

Have you any ideas?

4ebees
January 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
I will start at the beginning.

When I installed Ubuntu Hardy on my mutimedia centre (to be) I had no problems except that the TV card (nova T 500, with only one aerial so should not be the unsupported diversity model) would not install.

Since I installed Mythbuntu Hardy I have had a problem that rears its head on startup. Often (but not quite every time) I startup or restart Mythbuntu wants to run a routine disk check. If I let it complete it then boots into Mythbuntu as normal. Once or twice, when I have skipped the test, it fails to boot properly and I end up staring at a blank screen with a mouse cursor. The cursor moves but nothing else happens. Most of the time, even if I skip it boots normally.

The drive is a Western Digital SATA2 drive on an onboard SATA1 controller on an Abit An7.

I have run a quick and an extended test on the drive using WD software and both tests passed with no errors.

I have reinstalled Mythbuntu but the problem persists.

After enabling the LNA (as per some advice I have recieved) I then set up the Myth backend as this guy has done:

http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_ubuntu.php

When channel scanning I am getting about 48% signal strength on the channels it picks up. I am using the same aerial that would otherwise be plugged into the freeview box we normally use and that cheapo box gets about 80%.

When I select watch TV from the Myth front end I am getting no sound (at least on this install) and no picture :(

On the previous install I was getting clear sound for about a second and then it was really stuttery. I mean so stuttery that you couldnt understand a single word. The picture seemed to stay as a single frame.

When I pop in a DVD and attempt to use Myth to play it then basically the same happens.

I have tried using the flxgr driver for the ATI 9800se AGP card. But it seems the same.

Have you any ideas?

BUMP

Can anyone help here?

Maybe you'll need to go to the Mythbuntu site instead, matey?