PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Write files to CD

Ludwig9
May 23rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
I have no success in trying to write data files to a CD. The following are the instructions on how to do this:

In a folder window menubar, choose Places*▸ CD/DVD Creator. The file manager opens the CD/DVD Creator folder.
In a File Browser window, this item is in the Go menu.
Drag the files and folders that you want to write to CD or DVD to the CD/DVD Creator folder.
Insert a writable CD or DVD into the CD/DVD writer device on your system.
Press the Write to Disc button, or choose File*▸ Write to CD/DVD. A Write to Disc dialog is displayed.
Use the Write to Disc dialog to specify how you want to write the CD, as follows:
But I see no way to "Drag the files and folders that you want to write to CD or DVD to the CD/DVD Creator folder," for there is nothing to drag, no way to specify files that I want to write to the CD. Clicking on anything in the Go Menu causes me to leave CD/DVD Writer altogether. Above the CD/DVD Creator Folder I see either "Go to:" with an empty window next to it which I have not way of filling with the name of the file I wish to write, or I see there "Location Burn\\:" And so far as I can see, I have no way of putting the name of a file in the window under "Name."
Help, please!

shifty_powers
May 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
have you tried to use something linke brasero, or k3b to burn the disc?

find them both in synaptic ;)

stchman
May 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I have no success in trying to write data files to a CD. The following are the instructions on how to do this:

But I see no way to "Drag the files and folders that you want to write to CD or DVD to the CD/DVD Creator folder," for there is nothing to drag, no way to specify files that I want to write to the CD. Clicking on anything in the Go Menu causes me to leave CD/DVD Writer altogether. Above the CD/DVD Creator Folder I see either "Go to:" with an empty window next to it which I have not way of filling with the name of the file I wish to write, or I see there "Location Burn\\:" And so far as I can see, I have no way of putting the name of a file in the window under "Name."
Help, please!

I recommend using K3b for all your CD burning duties.

To install K3b do the following in a terminal:

Gutsy or earlier

sudo apt-get install k3b libk3b2-mp3

Hardy

sudo apt-get install k3b libk3b2-extracodecs

Launch K3b and you will be able to drag and drop the files to the CD before burning. If you have ever used Nero, K3b will be just as easy.

May 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Just open two windows of file manager. In the first, use the go menu to go to CD/DVD creator. Then in the second, locate the files and folder that you want to burn to a CD. Then either drag the files from the second screen to the first, or use copy and paste to get the files in CD/DVD Creator. After all files are in the special folder you can click "Write to disc" and the disc will be burnt.

Ludwig9
May 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Just open two windows of file manager. In the first, use the go menu to go to CD/DVD creator. Then in the second, locate the files and folder that you want to burn to a CD. Then either drag the files from the second screen to the first, or use copy and paste to get the files in CD/DVD Creator. After all files are in the special folder you can click "Write to disc" and the disc will be burnt.
OK, it worked both ways. I had tried the copy and paste way before but must have put the cursor in the wrong place when I tried to paste. The first way seemed to me completely bizarre since I didn't know how one could possibly drag a file from one window to another. So, I dragged the file to the icon for the CD/DVD Creator at the bottom of the screen, kept the mouse button down, and low and behold the file appeared in the right place of the then opening CD/DVD Creator window. Great, thanks 505.
I will now try the other recommended methods. One thing at a time!:)

Ludwig9
May 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I recommend using K3b for all your CD burning duties.

To install K3b do the following in a terminal:

Gutsy or earlier

sudo apt-get install k3b libk3b2-mp3

Hardy

sudo apt-get install k3b libk3b2-extracodecs

Launch K3b and you will be able to drag and drop the files to the CD before burning. If you have ever used Nero, K3b will be just as easy.

I am a very new user of Linux and Hardy; I used the sudo command in Terminal, and it worked fine. I now have K3b, which may be no better the other, but is certainly easier for a neophyte to figure out how to use. Thanks, stchman.

Ludwig9
May 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
have you tried to use something linke brasero, or k3b to burn the disc?

find them both in synaptic ;)
Thanks, shifty_powers. I used Terminal to install K3b, but checked for it first in synaptic; it was there.