PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 Problems

daz4126
May 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
I've always loved Firefox, but version 3 has been annoying me since I installed Hardy.

The gtk theme doesn't integrate completely and my theme of choice (ifox) doesn't work.
Numerous extensions don't work.

My main issue though is that it keeps freezing. From googling around this seems to be to do with the new version of gmail. There also seem to be problems with the firebug extension (which I find invaluable).

I also saw this (http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/66509.html), which is a bit worrying....

I've always loved Firefox and like the fact that it is open source and can be extended in any way you can. I also love gmail - especially with the gmail notifier extension. I'm a bit annoyed that a beta version was included in the Hardy release ... surely they should have waited for a full release?

I'm wondering if with all the, 'improvements' to Firefox, is there space for a much more lightweight version (or completely new browser that is based on FF) that was very barebones and allowed users to add extensions to get just the functionality that they want (this is how what I thought FF was supposed to be originally, but it seem to be getting more and more bloated - I don't use live bookmarks, google search box and all the other stuff they keep adding).

Does anybody know
a) how to fix these
b) a good alternative to firefox on ubuntu
or c) if these issues will be sorted out by the time FF3 is released properly?

DAZ