PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get JVM up and running?

cstoh
May 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. It took me many attempts before I succeeded. Everything seems to work fine except when I try to login to some bank sites I get the message that either I did not enable Java or that my Java Virtual Machine is not running. I checked the browser and Java is enabled. So how do I get the Java Virtual Machine to work?
Thanks in advance

jamesstansell
May 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Many people are reporting banking applications that do not currently work with the browser plugin currently available with the openjdk6 java. For now try installing the the sun-java6-plugin package.

Hmm - the phrase "Java is enabled" could mean two different things to me. If you're looking at the browser optin "enable Java" that may not mean that Java is installed and ready to run. (Personally I think that option should be retired.)

In order for a Java applet to run the Java plugin needs to be available. The browserspy page http://gemal.dk/browserspy/plugins_detail.html is a good way to check that out.

binary00mind
May 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04. It took me many attempts before I succeeded. Everything seems to work fine except when I try to login to some bank sites I get the message that either I did not enable Java or that my Java Virtual Machine is not running. I checked the browser and Java is enabled. So how do I get the Java Virtual Machine to work?
Thanks in advanceHi, It could be many reasons or combination of them. Your JAVA could be on but unknowingly You may have some restriction on. Like resizing windows or most likely changing text in the banner. And it could be done by third party add-on (I am only speculating. I don't know the browser YOU are using ) like in firefox, just to name the few; Web Developer. No Script or Cookie Safe, they all could do the dirty work against You. Actually the real JVM (Java Virtual Mchine )by IBM lost ground. They not aggresive enough to keep developing. Anyway in Ubuntu the real JVM is under name of "Cacao" I Do have Installed JVM aka Cacao with some "recent" upgrade, and sometimes I Do use it. (on Konqueror) Also make sure that aplet has enough live-time to do it's work (for your bank)...Pure speculating. Now Sun Jva#7 is the name of the game..Put the error console on, and on purpose do some "dry runs" in the spyworld of Internet..Good Luck

cstoh
May 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hi, It could be many reasons or combination of them. Your JAVA could be on but unknowingly You may have some restriction on. Like resizing windows or most likely changing text in the banner. And it could be done by third party add-on (I am only speculating. I don't know the browser YOU are using ) like in firefox, just to name the few; Web Developer. No Script or Cookie Safe, they all could do the dirty work against You. Actually the real JVM (Java Virtual Mchine )by IBM lost ground. They not aggresive enough to keep developing. Anyway in Ubuntu the real JVM is under name of "Cacao" I Do have Installed JVM aka Cacao with some "recent" upgrade, and sometimes I Do use it. (on Konqueror) Also make sure that aplet has enough live-time to do it's work (for your bank)...Pure speculating. Now Sun Jva#7 is the name of the game..Put the error console on, and on purpose do some "dry runs" in the spyworld of Internet..Good Luck

I tried installing Cacao but after that I still get the same problem of not being able to open the page. This time it does not tell me that JVM not running. It just says that the page cannot run the applet. I've also made sure that java can resize windows and all that.
Can someone help me and guide me as to what to do next? Thank you

binary00mind
May 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
[CENTER][/CENTERHi Sorry to hear that the issue is still unsolved. It is hard to speculate long distance. I wish I knew what browser You are using.(Unless I missed that)
Anyhow JVM from Ubuntu comes with regular dependencies, like any other package. Do search in Synaptics under name "JVM" Name plus description. You will get more results. just like that. You shall see a lot of add-ons or utilities-If You Will- That work together with JVM (There is a updated version under different name.(it slipped my mind now the name) plus install the java fonts from "Sun" 5 or 6.
All this (especially the fonts) is really an Overkill. The security of Your bank is-I guess-doing it's own overkill. Maybe they digging deep into Your Privacy (not that You were picked out) in terms of veryfing if You is really You.
The Java as We all know, is a perfect tool to do tricky things, especially in Windows. They, (the bank) maybe did not adjust enough for Linux. Which is doubtfull because most script writers, do their work on Linux platform.
Ubuntu system, or Your Firewall is preventing all that, to sneak in. That is very possible. Pure speculation.
I am curious, how it all ends. I Will Stay Tuned. Good Luck

jamesstansell
May 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Can someone help me and guide me as to what to do next? Thank you

Did you try the sun-java6-plugin package? If it doesn't work at first there are other recent threads here (look for the java tag) that explain how to use update-alternatives.

cstoh
May 29th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Did you try the sun-java6-plugin package? If it doesn't work at first there are other recent threads here (look for the java tag) that explain how to use update-alternatives.

I´ve got sun-java6-plugin installed. It does not seem to help. I had sun-java5 installed also. Is it necessary?

cstoh
May 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Many people are reporting banking applications that do not currently work with the browser plugin currently available with the openjdk6 java. For now try installing the the sun-java6-plugin package.

Hmm - the phrase "Java is enabled" could mean two different things to me. If you're looking at the browser optin "enable Java" that may not mean that Java is installed and ready to run. (Personally I think that option should be retired.)

In order for a Java applet to run the Java plugin needs to be available. The browserspy page http://gemal.dk/browserspy/plugins_detail.html is a good way to check that out.

Here is the output of the link you gave. Please advice if anything is missing

Variable Setting
Plugin Directories

Shockwave Flash
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124
Filename: libflashplayer.so
MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

QuickTime Plug-in 6.0 / 7
mplayerplug-in 3.50

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets
Filename: mplayerplug-in-qt.so
video/quicktime Quicktime mov Yes
video/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yes
image/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yes
video/quicktime Quicktime mp4 Yes
video/quicktime Quicktime - Session Description Protocol sdp Yes
application/x-quicktimeplayer Quicktime mov Yes

Windows Media Player Plugin
mplayerplug-in 3.50

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
Filename: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
application/asx Media Files * Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yes
video/x-msvideo AVI avi,* Yes
video/msvideo AVI avi,* Yes
application/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yes
application/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yes
video/x-ms-asf Media Files asf,asx,* Yes
video/x-ms-wm Media Files wm,* Yes
video/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wmv Windows Media wmv,* Yes
video/x-ms-wmp Windows Media wmp,* Yes
application/x-ms-wmp Windows Media wmp,* Yes
video/x-ms-wvx Windows Media wvx,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wax Windows Media wax,* Yes
audio/x-ms-wma Windows Media wma,* Yes
application/x-drm-v2 Windows Media asx,* Yes
audio/wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yes
audio/x-wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yes

mplayerplug-in 3.50
mplayerplug-in 3.50

Filename: mplayerplug-in.so
video/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
audio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
video/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
video/x-mpeg2 MPEG2 mpv2,mp2ve Yes
audio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
audio/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes
audio/mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yes
audio/x-mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yes
video/mp4 MPEG 4 Video mp4 Yes
video/3gpp MPEG 4 Video mp4,3gp Yes
audio/mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes
audio/x-mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes
audio/x-mpegurl MPEG url m3u Yes
audio/mp3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes
application/x-ogg Ogg Vorbis Media ogg Yes
audio/ogg Ogg Vorbis Audio ogg Yes
audio/x-ogg Ogg Vorbis Audio ogg Yes
application/ogg Ogg Vorbis / Ogg Theora ogg Yes
audio/flac FLAC Audio flac Yes
audio/x-flac FLAC Audio flac Yes
video/fli FLI animation fli,flc Yes
video/x-fli FLI animation fli,flc Yes
video/x-flv Flash Video flv Yes
video/vnd.vivo VivoActive viv,vivo Yes
application/x-nsv-vp3-mp3 Nullsoft Streaming Video nsv Yes
audio/x-mod Soundtracker mod Yes
audio/basic Basic Audio File au,snd Yes
audio/x-basic Basic Audio File au,snd Yes
audio/x-scpls Shoutcast Playlist pls Yes

Default Plugin
The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.
Filename: libnullplugin.so
* All types .* Yes

Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux
The demo print plugin for unix.
Filename: libunixprintplugin.so
application/x-print-unix-nsplugin Demo Print Plugin for Unix/Linux .pnt Yes

iTunes Application Detector
This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
Filename: librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
application/itunes-plugin Yes

VLC Multimedia Plugin
Version 0.8.6e Janus, copyright 1996-2007 The VideoLAN Team
http://www.videolan.org/
Filename: libvlcplugin.so
audio/mpeg MPEG audio mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega Yes
audio/x-mpeg MPEG audio mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega Yes
video/mpeg MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe Yes
video/x-mpeg MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe Yes
video/mpeg-system MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob Yes
video/x-mpeg-system MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob Yes
video/mpeg4 MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes
audio/mpeg4 MPEG-4 audio mp4,mpg4 Yes
application/mpeg4-iod MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes
application/mpeg4-muxcodetable MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes
video/x-msvideo AVI video avi Yes
video/quicktime QuickTime video mov,qt Yes
application/x-ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes
application/ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes
application/x-vlc-plugin VLC plugin vlc Yes
video/x-ms-asf-plugin Windows Media Video asf,asx Yes
video/x-ms-asf Windows Media Video asf,asx Yes
application/x-mplayer2 Windows Media Yes
video/x-ms-wmv Windows Media wmv Yes
application/x-google-vlc-plugin Google VLC plugin Yes
audio/wav WAV audio wav Yes
audio/x-wav WAV audio wav Yes
audio/3gpp 3GPP audio 3gp,3gpp Yes
video/3gpp 3GPP video 3gp,3gpp Yes
audio/3gpp2 3GPP2 audio 3g2,3gpp2 Yes
video/3gpp2 3GPP2 video 3g2,3gpp2 Yes

GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.0
The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.
Filename: gcjwebplugin.so
application/x-java-vm IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.6 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_00 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.6 IcedTea class,jar Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.6.0_00 IcedTea class,jar Yes

jamesstansell
May 30th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I´ve got sun-java6-plugin installed. It does not seem to help. I had sun-java5 installed also. Is it necessary?

Based on your other post it looks like you have icedtea-gcjwebplugin (the default java plugin in hardy) installed OK. I'm guessing it must not be compatible with the web site that you want to use.

At this point I would recommend that you get sun-java6-plugin working. Uninstall the sun-java5-plugin and icedtea-gcjwebplugin packages. Then run "update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun".

(Theoretically the update-java-alternatives command should work without needing to first remove the other plugin packages, but Hardy shipped with a packaging bug, and removing the other packages is a work-around. Hopefully an update will fix the bug before long.)

cstoh
May 30th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Based on your other post it looks like you have icedtea-gcjwebplugin (the default java plugin in hardy) installed OK. I'm guessing it must not be compatible with the web site that you want to use.

At this point I would recommend that you get sun-java6-plugin working. Uninstall the sun-java5-plugin and icedtea-gcjwebplugin packages. Then run "update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun".

(Theoretically the update-java-alternatives command should work without needing to first remove the other plugin packages, but Hardy shipped with a packaging bug, and removing the other packages is a work-around. Hopefully an update will fix the bug before long.)

Thanks for your help. Now I do not get the message about JVM nor ¨applet not started¨ but I guess there is still some incompatibility because it says that an applet need run the application did not load correctly. Frankly, that could mean anything. They probably wouldn´t to reveal the inner workings of their site so I probably would not be able to work this out. Thanks anyway

cstoh
June 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for your help. Now I do not get the message about JVM nor ¨applet not started¨ but I guess there is still some incompatibility because it says that an applet need run the application did not load correctly. Frankly, that could mean anything. They probably wouldn´t to reveal the inner workings of their site so I probably would not be able to work this out. Thanks anyway

I have an EeePC that runs on Xandos Linux. It is able to log in to the said bank site. I watched the status bar to see what applet is needed to run the app and it shows ¨e2e¨ applet. Does anybody know anything about such an applet?
Thanks in advance.