PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Budget Laptop Challenge!

Kazade
May 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone,

This weekend I am finally ordering my first laptop! The problem is I don't know which one to get, so I was hoping perhaps some of you would be able to help me....

The laptop must fit the following rules:

1. It should be dual core (I do a lot of compiling)
2. It must support OpenGL 2.0 (that rules out the Intel X3100)
3. The graphics vendor must have released specifications (i.e. ATI or Intel)
4. It must have Ubuntu compatible wireless
5. It must be as cheap as possible to satisfy the above 4 points
6. It must be available for delivery in the UK

My target budget is £350, the closest I have so far is a customized Dell Vostro which comes to £358 but the wireless isn't Ubuntu friendly.

Potentials found so far (thanks!):

Lenovo 3000 N200 - £350 inc VAT. NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 1280x800, Intel Wireless

meep_meep
May 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I know you want open standards but the following laptop is a bargin.

It has intel wireless, C2D, finger print reader, maybe bluetooth (its not mentioned in any of the links but when it was on ebuyer it said that it has it) and a dedicated nvidia graphics card. The driver for the nvidia card would be good.

for £350
http://www.thinklenovo.co.uk/Lenovo_3000_N200_0769_TY2BWUK/version.asp

what do you think?

meep_meep
May 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
The following link has the same laptop with bluetooth

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/A0401936?cidp=Ciao

Kazade
May 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I can't believe how quick this disappeared from the front page! Does anyone else have any suggestions?

roderick
May 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Just curious as to the reason for OpenGL 2.0 requirement. Is there some application that requires it now or you suspect to require it before you replace the Laptop down the road?

The Intel X3500 will support OpenGL 2.0 (X3100 does 1.5 and should be fine for almost every application currently out there - AFAIK).

Kinst
May 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Ew why ATI or Intel?

Nvidia is so much better.

roderick
May 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Ew why ATI or Intel?

Nvidia is so much better.

3. The graphics vendor must have released specifications

nVidia is not open source - it is binary only, and not truly free. So, in that case, it does not meet his requirement in 3. ATI (now that AMD owns it) has released specifications for thier cards and open source drivers now exist and are being heavily developed. Intel has had open source drivers for as long as I can remember.

nVidia may be a better card, but having open source code goes a long way and willingness to support the community in their own playing field puts it over the top. nVidia has provided a driver, and great support, but they are still not in the correct playing field and some users recognize this.

Personally, I have always supported Intels initiative and therefore use system with their chipsets. Less surprises when I upgrade the kernel or other key parts. It simply integrates and works better.

Kazade
May 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Just curious as to the reason for OpenGL 2.0 requirement. Is there some application that requires it now or you suspect to require it before you replace the Laptop down the road?

The Intel X3500 will support OpenGL 2.0 (X3100 does 1.5 and should be fine for almost every application currently out there - AFAIK).

I thought I might get asked this...

The reason I *need* OpenGL 2.0 is that I will start writing the 2nd edition of "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming" (http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-OpenGL-2E-Luke-Benstead/dp/159863528X/ref=sr_1_45?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211611015&sr=1-45) as soon as the OpenGL 3.0 spec is released.

OpenGL 3.0 has been slated to support all hardware that supports OGL 2.0, so to use the laptop to write the book demos I will need hardware that can run them :)

Anyway, I might actually go for an nVidia card. I already have an ATI card to test on in my desktop PC so having a different GPU vendor for testing might actually be better. Although I wish they'd release their specs!

meep_meep
May 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM
On the topic of nvidia's drivers being closed source, I read somewhere that nvidia uses similar graphics cards for their gaming and workstation cards but the only thing that really separates them is the software/drivers. So if they released open source drivers for some of their graphics cards you could change the code to improve the performance of your card without paying a premium for a workstation card.

I could be completely wrong so feel free to correct me!

drivel
May 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
3. The graphics vendor must have released specifications

nVidia is not open source - it is binary only, and not truly free. So, in that case, it does not meet his requirement in 3. ATI (now that AMD owns it) has released specifications for thier cards and open source drivers now exist and are being heavily developed. Intel has had open source drivers for as long as I can remember.

nVidia may be a better card, but having open source code goes a long way and willingness to support the community in their own playing field puts it over the top. nVidia has provided a driver, and great support, but they are still not in the correct playing field and some users recognize this.

Personally, I have always supported Intels initiative and therefore use system with their chipsets. Less surprises when I upgrade the kernel or other key parts. It simply integrates and works better.
yap,Nvidia card is great
ATI drivers very sucks
Intel card isn't so good as Nvidia,but give you a good driver,that's important.

I prefer Intel card.

ssam
May 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM
if you can manage X3100
http://uk.zepto.com/Shop/Notebook.aspx?notebookid=673