PDA

View Full Version : website and graphics design

brickbat
October 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I have an idea for a non-profit website but I can't do website design. I think it is a really exciting project with interesting potential. I am looking for a web-site and graphics designer to develop it with me. If you are interested, please pm me.

ciao
bb

brickbat
October 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Hi,

I have an idea for a non-profit website but I can't do website design. I think it is a really exciting project with interesting potential. I am looking for a web-site and graphics designer to develop it with me. If you are interested, please pm me.

ciao
bb

mostwanted
October 22nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
How can someone be interested in this after reading a 2 line post that has no description of what kind of site it is going to be, no clear knowledge of your ambitions and the kind of work that needs to be done?

David Marrs
October 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
yeah, you could sell it to us a bit more. :P

jnoreiko
October 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
You're going to have to say more about it before people can be interested

Minyaliel
October 22nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, tell us about your project...

brickbat
October 23rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
ok...here goes;

Here is what I can say for now;

* Its political
* It's non partisan
* Its global
* Its non-profit
* The back-end will be OS

Its not about any particular ideology. No left or right or centre. The target audience is anyone that votes or will vote.

What I envisage just on a fairly global level is a few sections

The main one is a wiki type of functionality that allows people to enter data into forms and upload pdf's or html files (or perhaps other formats - maybe multimedia) for reference information. I'm also thinking of a live link with a cache version just in case it changes or disappears. There should also be the ability to add comments and analysis for registered users. Associated searches on various criteria like places, names, subjects, etc is also required.

Secondly is a questionnaire function that can present information in different ways (charts, tables, lists) from a database and asks for feedback and input. Reporting on results is also important.

A forum area - nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

Finally, the site is alot about connecting people so I'm thinking about it supporting blogs, rss feeds, and podcasts as well but that would depend on volunteers. Some of the functionality of digg.com seems like it might fit well but with a different focus - like having friends and seeing what they are focusing on. In this case, groups of friends could be even more valuable.

Overall, I think it's quite a bit of database work but also presentation of information and graphical design is really important. I'm an accountant so I've got some idea of how to present numbers but actually implementing it into as website is where I fall over. Also, design creativity is especially important to allow the users to see key information quickly and move on. I'm not particularly creative and as for design - I'm lost.

Also, being global, it needs to be designed from the beginning to be translated.

ciao
bb

brickbat
October 23rd, 2005, 05:35 PM
ok. I have replied here;

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=437266#post437266

Sirin
October 23rd, 2005, 07:34 PM
ok. I have replied here;

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=437266#post437266

Of course, that link leads to the post above. :D
What should be the name of your site anyways?

brickbat
October 23rd, 2005, 08:09 PM
Sorry, the other posts are from posts in programming talk. I think an admin has moved them and combined them into one thread.

Actually, the name is what is holding me back. I have a few candidates but I haven't decided yet. As soon as I decide, perhaps in the coming week, I am hoping to begin design and development. Then I can give more information.

ciao
bb

aysiu
October 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
Of course, that link leads to the post above. :D
What should be the name of your site anyways? Yes, I merged these two threads. I should have explained that.