PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] main menu launcher icon change how to?

golgo13
May 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
I want to change my main menu launcher icon from the ubuntu one to the gnome foot which I downloaded into the shared folder into an icons folder I created
When I searched the forum there were some suggestions none of which worked
What is the easiest way of doing this?

sayakb
May 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Change the icons at /usr/share/icons/themename/24x24/places/start_here.png
Do change the icons of other sizes also..

Bodsda
May 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
WOOT!! one more thanks to add to your book LinuxIsInnovation -- ive looked at loads of threads on here to no avail!! cheers m8

sayakb
May 23rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
No problemmo :)

golgo13
May 23rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
this /usr/share/icons thing is really confusing me as originally when I went to the share folder it was empty?!

golgo13
May 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
:redface:
sorry was looking in the wrong place...

golgo13
May 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
ok so I followed the instructions and changed the start-here.png and nothing happened.....!?

Tuxoid
May 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
ok so I followed the instructions and changed the start-here.png and nothing happened.....!?

Go to System>Preferences>Appearance and click 'customize' and click the icons tab. If you are unsure about the name of the icon theme that is applied, this will tell you. To change the icons, you will need to run the file browser with administrative privileges. Right now the easiest way to do so is to, create a Lancher (right click your background, Create Launcher), and under the 'Command', type 'gksudo nautilus', and name it whatever you want.

double-click the launcher, enter your password, and go to the folder the currently applied theme is in (a folder somewhere in '/usr/share/icons')