PDA

View Full Version : monodevelop - executable not found

muteXe
May 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Hiya,
Created a new solution, not even added to it yet. It's just the "hello world" example. When i try to build this I get "Build failed. Exexcutable not found: /usr/bin/gmcs". I've cleary not installed something!
Any ideas?
thanks,
mute

muteXe
May 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hmm maybe i should have posted this in the packaging and compiling forum :)

Zugzwang
May 23rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Well, if the executable wasn't found, why don't you just type "gmcs" in the terminal. You will get a message telling you which package is missing. Install it and there you go!

Death4Life
May 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
I just ran into this as well,
just install the mono-gmcs package!

hiratayutaka
June 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
:guitar:
sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs

hiratayutaka
June 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
:popcorn:
sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs
sudo apt-get install automake

Hollonb
June 21st, 2008, 06:40 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks, I've been trying to solve this same problem for several weeks. This worked perfectly...

cavarl
July 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
That solved my problem, too.
Thank you!

stranger22
September 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Well, if the executable wasn't found, why don't you just type "gmcs" in the terminal. You will get a message telling you which package is missing. Install it and there you go!

Thanks mate, it worked just fine. I can now run my C# programs.

quack
October 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Just installed MonoDevelop and gotta say it looks it like a fantastic project.

But what's with the GMCS thing? Sure, I found this thread and solved my problem in 30 seconds but, if nothing will compile without it, shouldn't one of the other packages pull it in at install time?

directhex
October 9th, 2008, 12:26 AM
gmcs is the CLI 2.0 compiler, mcs is the CLI 1.1 compiler. It's not a hard dependency of the package as MD may be used to target several languages (not just C#, and not just version 2 thereof) - but it's a Recommends on the basis that you probably want it anyway. Unfortunately, unlike Debian, not all the apt front-ends in Ubuntu pull in recommends by default - so I think Synaptic users will be missing it whereas Aptitude users are fine

quack
October 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the info - that makes a lot of sense. And yes, I installed through Synaptic.

Agree it would be too strong to make gmcs a hard dependency... but it is likely the first thing that a new user will want to do. Maybe worth adding a special-case error message or something in the system which will catch newbie users tripping over this and point them in the right direction.

directhex
October 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the info - that makes a lot of sense. And yes, I installed through Synaptic.

Agree it would be too strong to make gmcs a hard dependency... but it is likely the first thing that a new user will want to do. Maybe worth adding a special-case error message or something in the system which will catch newbie users tripping over this and point them in the right direction.

Good idea. How about some kind of "not found" message, like "executable not found: /usr/bin/gmcs"? ;)

true_friend
October 9th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Basically it should be added as a dependancy in MonoDevelop package so that it installs with MD.

directhex
October 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Basically it should be added as a dependancy in MonoDevelop package so that it installs with MD.

What if you're only using MD to develop Python or C or somesuch?

true_friend
October 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I think there are better alternatives available for C and Python apart from MD. In my opinion people use MD to develop C# 90+ percent.

directhex
October 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I think there are better alternatives available for C and Python apart from MD. In my opinion people use MD to develop C# 90+ percent.

You're right, which is why it's a Recommends: - the big difference as far as most package managers are concerned is that you can remove a Recommends but keep the package there (e.g. remove mono-gmcs but keep monodevelop), whilst the same is not true of a Depends:

The unfortunate odd man out is Synaptic on pre-Intrepid Ubuntu, which does not install Recommends by default. It's Synaptic's failing, not the package's.

jlawson
October 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys, worked for me too!

nazgul42
October 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks a lot, but it is kinda obvious now that I think about it...

mrinvader
August 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hi all!

Installing mono-gmcs worked great for running ./configure on xfx-screensaver-settings-0.3.0 under Jaunty with one change. mono-gmcs installs /usr/bin/gmcs2 instead of /usr/bin/gmcs. To fix this I had to do :

ln -s /usr/bin/gmcs2 /usr/bin/gmcs

as root.

:D

directhex
August 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hi all!

Installing mono-gmcs worked great for running ./configure on xfx-screensaver-settings-0.3.0 under Jaunty with one change. mono-gmcs installs /usr/bin/gmcs2 instead of /usr/bin/gmcs. To fix this I had to do :

ln -s /usr/bin/gmcs2 /usr/bin/gmcs

as root.

:D

Or install mono-devel