PDA

View Full Version : What happened to WordPerfect for Linux?

nsa_767
October 22nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
With so much talk about OOo2 and MS Office on the forums as of late, i was just wondering what happened to the Linux version Corel Word Perfect?

I remember some years back, I tried Corel Linux... LOL, it was the first distribution I ever tried... :D Anyway, I recall it came out with WordPerfect Lite, and you could (if you wanted) order the complete WordPerfect Office Suite for Linux.

Unfortunately, it seems Corel mothballed the project... Can anyone tell me when this happened?

I feel it is a real pity, if there is software I'd be willing to pay for on Linux, it would have been that... But then, I'm quite happy with OOo1.1.3.

Stormy Eyes
October 22nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
It probably wasn't worth it for Corel to continue development of WordPerfect for Linux after version 8. Linux users do tend to be cheapskates.

landotter
October 22nd, 2005, 05:16 PM
From what I remember, it was just the windows version run with WINE. Not much effort on their part. :p

Now that Abiword is reasonably stable--I'm happy. :D

majikstreet
October 22nd, 2005, 05:39 PM
I got wordperfect with my dell for windows and it never worked!

heimo
October 22nd, 2005, 05:42 PM
This is what wikipedia knows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_Perfect#WordPerfect_for_Linux

Teroedni
October 22nd, 2005, 06:37 PM
what
I though Windows killed Wordperfect
THey still exist:shock:

nsa_767
October 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Stormy Eyes

It probably wasn't worth it for Corel to continue development of WordPerfect for Linux after version 8. Linux users do tend to be cheapskates.
Yeah, your probably right... Most of us are cheapskates! LOL

It is a damn shame though... I don't have much experience with WordPerfect, but my understanding is that some the latest versions are pretty good. Perhaps Corel just jumped into the whole Linux market too early.

Oh well, if I ever get the time I'm gonna try and get PFS Window Works to run under Wine... LOL, not that was an office suite. :razz:

BWF89
October 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM
Corel Word Perfect 8 came with my first computer (Windows 95) back in 97.

As I remember it was VERY easy to use. I recall making this multi-page presentation in WP8 when I had absolutely no previous experience with the software.