PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new to linux

jarrod76665
May 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
I am very new to linux and dont know anything about the linux language. i am trying to download how to install the nvidia driver for my video card I have downloaded it from the internet but i click on the icon and nothing happens i have looked up some things on the internet but they tell me to type in # su NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12.pkg#.run but it says bad command name or something like that What do I do? please be specific I really do not know very much i am typing all this stuff into terminal window is that the right place?
Thanks for all the help

iaculallad
May 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
I am very new to linux and dont know anything about the linux language. i am trying to download how to install the nvidia driver for my video card I have downloaded it from the internet but i click on the icon and nothing happens i have looked up some things on the internet but they tell me to type in # su NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12.pkg#.run but it says bad command name or something like that What do I do? please be specific I really do not know very much i am typing all this stuff into terminal window is that the right place?
Thanks for all the help

You could let the "Restricted Drivers Manager" do the dirty job for you. Navigate System->Administration->Restricted Drivers Manager

epidemiks
May 23rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
What if it doesn't show up as a restricted driver?
I have an nvidia geforce 6700 GS & it isn't there.
envy is not helping either

iaculallad
May 23rd, 2008, 08:00 AM

Had you have any problem with Envy? What errors did it prompt you?

epidemiks
May 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
none, thats the problem.. does what its meant to, just doesn't give me 1680x1050 with usable nvidia settings. reboots with 800x600 'low graphics mode'

iaculallad
May 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM

Seems like you do not have any problem with your restricted driver.

none, thats the problem.. does what its meant to, just doesn't give me 1680x1050 with usable nvidia settings. reboots with 800x600 'low graphics mode'

But rather, a problem on screen resolution since Envy did not show you any error at all.

Can you post the content of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf then so we could take a look at it.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

epidemiks
May 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
don't want to hijack jarrod's thread..
existing one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799643

jarrod76665
May 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well i went to system and i dont have a restricted drivers option i have hardware drivers page and it has a generic driver for all NVIDIA cards but i needed to install one so i can use Cedega and play games is there still a way i can use hardware drivers or do i need to do something different

jarrod76665
May 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
oh ya i forgot i am using ubuntu 8.04 hardy when i run system test in cedega it says when i first open the tests "You appear to be missing one or more dependencies for the system tests. This could be because your 64-bit system is missing the 32-bit emulation libraries. Without them, the tests and other auxiliary programs will not run. not a dynamic executable" then the open gl direct rendering fails the 3d acceleration fails and the ALSO audio fails but i still get sound any help would be so appreated
Jarrod

jarrod76665
May 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
i am using a NVIDIA 8600 GT

iaculallad
May 24th, 2008, 05:54 AM
i am using a NVIDIA 8600 GT

Jump to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=501495), you got the same video adapter. Hope this could help.