PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nautilus Won't Run in 8.04

liquidypoo
May 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Long story short, before upgrading, I managed to accidentally delete my Desktop folder. It was bugged into the Trash bin, never able to permanently delete, or properly restore. But, that's all it did, and never caused me any other troubles otherwise.

But now that I've successfully upgraded to 8.04, it has become a major issue. Now I can't browse my files through Nautilus. Trying to go to Places > Home folder just brings up this message box:

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/522/screenshotnautilusru2.png

Any ideas? Terminal commands I can do? Make sure to be really step-by-step, as I'm still really new to Linux and Ubuntu.

joselin
May 23rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Open a terminal and give your home directory the following perms:

chmod 755 /home/ed

Hope that helps.

Regards

liquidypoo
May 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
That didn't seem to make a difference. Am I missing something when I'm typing that in? I tried it by itself, and I also tried slapping sudo in front of it, but that didn't do anything either. It asked me for my password, but it didn't do anything after that.

liquidypoo
May 24th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Bumping because my problem still isn't solved.

RATM_Owns
May 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
sudo mkdir -p /home/ed/.Trash/Desktop

liquidypoo
May 26th, 2008, 04:40 AM
sudo mkdir -p /home/ed/.Trash/Desktop

THANK YOU!

That was the easiest thing in the world, and I wish I actually knew my terminal commands so I wouldn't have to bother the forum with such a stupid problem.

liquidypoo
May 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Is there a way for me to fix this permanently by moving the Desktop folder out of .Trash? I just restarted because of a system update, and I had to go to the terminal again to type that one line of code.