PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't startup after installing konqueror from repositories

speakeasy
May 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
I'm not sure at all what happened? I installed konqueror from the repositories followed what this thread says, ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=679697 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=679697)
Now when it boots back up, nothing loads but the background shows up. I can't pull up anything!!! please help???

Edit: The post just explains how to get konqueror as default browser.

iaculallad
May 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Try booting using the Recovery Mode (By Pressing ESC key when you see GRUB Loading ... on startup). This should give you a menu option to choose from.

Select the Recovery Mode and open up the terminal.

sudo apt-get remove build-essentials

Then, restart your PC. Check if you could start Ubuntu with no errors.

speakeasy
May 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Try booting using the Recovery Mode (By Pressing ESC key when you see GRUB Loading ... on startup). This should give you a menu option to choose from.

Select the Recovery Mode and open up the terminal.

sudo apt-get remove build-essentials

Then, restart your PC. Check if you could start Ubuntu with no errors.

No it didnt do anything different.

iaculallad
May 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
No it didnt do anything different.

Same process as my first post, only this time use:

sudo apt-get remove konqueror

and restart

speakeasy
May 23rd, 2008, 06:24 AM
Same process as my first post, only this time use:

sudo apt-get remove konqueror

and restart

No still the same thing. I can boot into failsafe gnome though, and stuff works once again in failsafe but my xorg file seems to be messed up.

PmDematagoda
May 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Log in to Ubuntu through fail-safe GNOME and then open up a terminal and do this:-

rm -r ~/.config ~/.gnome2
Keep in mind that this clears the GNOME configuration files, so you may have to reconfigure GNOME afterwards(it will be default).

speakeasy
May 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
Log in to Ubuntu through fail-safe GNOME and then open up a terminal and do this:-

rm -r ~/.config ~/.gnome2
Keep in mind that this clears the GNOME configuration files, so you may have to reconfigure GNOME afterwards(it will be default).

Umm, the terminal returns "No such file directory"... where are they supposed to be?

PmDematagoda
May 23rd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Umm, the terminal returns "No such file directory"... where are they supposed to be?

Hmm, seems to be the wrong command, they are hidden files located in the Home directory, so you can delete them with Nautilus for ease.

iaculallad
May 23rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Using the same terminal, try this:

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

speakeasy
May 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
Hmm, seems to be the wrong command, they are hidden files located in the Home directory, so you can delete them with Nautilus for ease.

Manually deleting did the trick thanks guys!!!

iaculallad
May 23rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
You're welcome. Go Ubuntu