PDA

View Full Version : For some reason, I'm not worried

howlsmoving
May 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
I was forwarded to this site, hillarity ensued. Check out this screenshot.

LaRoza
May 23rd, 2008, 05:44 AM
I was forwarded to this site, hillarity ensued. Check out this screenshot.

Just think of how many people that message on Windows would trigger alarms. It is quite clever as far as social engineering of the Induhviduals goes.

Steve413z
May 23rd, 2008, 05:45 AM
haha, yeah, those pages are hilarious

even on a Windows box, I set the theme to classic, so those popups don't even look like regular windows popups

oh well, their target is pretty much the lowest common denominator

lisati
May 23rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
I'd probably mutter something like "wtf" and then realise that it's something like the popups that tell you that you're the 999,999th visitor.

A moment's inattention can lead you into a journey known as "Gullible's Travels"

kenweill
May 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
its a drive-by downloads. useless in linux but when run from a windows machine, you'll be infected with a virus(if you dont have a good AV). as it automatically downloads(without your consent) some trojans and virus into you computer. mostly in local settings/temp folder.

i have tried opening that site in Linux Mint. The only problem i got is Firefox turns into full screen and i didn't have a clue how to set it back to normal. Even if i exit sirefox using the taskbar, when firefox is next loaded, its still full screen. so i checked on other pc on how to revert back to normal. then i found it, F11... :D

Lod
May 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
I have friends who actually do take them seriously and always click on OK or continue or whatever. And afterwards they're complaining about Windows being slow and how the IE homepage suddenly was different and so on and so on. And regulary I have to come by to the rescue.
Telling them they shouldn't click on them doesn't seem to work however. Maybe I should sit next to them with a rolled up newspaper [-X

Dropbear
May 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
I downloaded the exe file when I clicked "start scan" and scanned it with clamav.

darren@darren-laptop:~/Desktop$ clamscan /home/darren/Desktop/install_v2.exe
/home/darren/Desktop/install_v2.exe: Trojan.Downloader-25473 FOUND

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 296322
Engine version: 0.92.1
Scanned directories: 0
Scanned files: 1
Infected files: 1
Data scanned: 0.04 MB
Time: 7.488 sec (0 m 7 s)
darren@darren-laptop:~/Desktop$

dmizer
May 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
oh yeah ... nasty site. here's what the site looks like with adblock plus installed:

http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=165&pictureid=574

if i disable adblock plus, i get the fake scan and popup. interestingly enough, if you click on the red X to close the window, it asks you if you're sure you want to cancel because your system is infected, you have <OK> or <cancel> either one starts the malware download.

Irihapeti
May 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have friends who actually do take them seriously and always click on OK or continue or whatever. And afterwards they're complaining about Windows being slow and how the IE homepage suddenly was different and so on and so on. And regulary I have to come by to the rescue.
Telling them they shouldn't click on them doesn't seem to work however. Maybe I should sit next to them with a rolled up newspaper [-X

You could try stopping the free support. Let them get a tech in and pay for it. That might actually get their attention. :)

Paqman
May 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
You could try stopping the free support. Let them get a tech in and pay for it. That might actually get their attention. :)

Ouch, tough love!

Although in reality they'd probably just suffer through it and their box would become just another happy zombie in somebody's botnet.

LaRoza
May 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Ouch, tough love!

Although in reality they'd probably just suffer through it and their box would become just another happy zombie in somebody's botnet.

Or they'd discard it and it would be a free computer for me (or someone else) to put Linux on.

ShodanjoDM
May 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Or they'd discard it and it would be a free computer for me (or someone else) to put Linux on.

Friend (with XP): Hey, I've got pop-ups. What do you usually do with them?
Me (using Linux): Uhh, usually I just clicked OK or close and nothing happens.
Friend : Ah Ok, I'll just click...
Me : Wait! Err... Nevermind...

:lolflag:

Irihapeti
May 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Ouch, tough love!

Yes, tough love. I work in the therapy/pastoral care trade, and I've seen I don't know how many people come unstuck because they believe it isn't kind to allow others to face the consequences of their actions. The sad thing is that what happens to the others as a result can be pretty dire.

Of course, you can make your point known in a kind or an unkind way. I prefer the former. :)

Anyway, this is a digression. Back to the topic...

TheS0urce
May 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM

Get your friend to use sandboxie it's a great program for windows, it is like chroot in linux. It's great because it doesn't effect system files, heck any files files. All he had to do is delete the files in the sandboxie and it's gone for good :)

wootah
May 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
... It is quite clever as far as social engineering of the Induhviduals goes.

... I saw what you did there ... :)

paul101
May 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM

i'm fixing my dads computer atm that is super slow and has all these popups for online scanners when the computer starts up

linux (dual boot) is part of the fix :guitar: :lolflag:

paul101
May 24th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Just think of how many people that message on Windows would trigger alarms. It is quite clever as far as social engineering of the Induhviduals goes.

yes, The only problem with common sense is it's just not that common!! ;)

DoktorSeven
May 24th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Oh, how I love NoScript...

LaRoza
May 24th, 2008, 03:04 AM
... I saw what you did there ... :)

Scott Adams has a point.

wootah
May 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Scott Adams has a point.

If you're not talking about the Dilbert dood... you lost me :(

LaRoza
May 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
If you're not talking about the Dilbert dood... you lost me :(

Thats the guy. His book, "Dilber Future" (which happens to be on my lap now) in the introduction:

INTRODUCTION
There are two types of people in the world: the bright and attractive people like yourself who read Dilbert books, and the 6 billion idiots who get in our way. Since we're outnumbered, it's a good idea to not refer to them as idiots to their faces. A devious Dilbert reader suggested calling them "In-duh-viduals" instead. The advantage to this word is that you can insult someone without risk of physical harm.

If you are not already surrounded by Induhviduals, you will be soon. New ones are born every minute, despite the complexity involved in breeding.

swoll1980
May 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Using fear to take peoples money. Sounds like strong armed robbery to me. There has to be some kind of legal ramification for advertising techniques like this

LaRoza
May 24th, 2008, 07:26 AM
There has to be some kind of legal ramification for advertising techniques like this

Yeah, a stern lecture by a lawyer.

swoll1980
May 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Yeah, a stern lecture by a lawyer.

That's pretty scary, but I don't think it's enough to stop them.

JT9161
May 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
That's pretty scary, but I don't think it's enough to stop them.

Certainly not enough to stop me :biggrin::twisted:

wootah
May 24th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Thats the guy. His book, "Dilber Future" (which happens to be on my lap now) in the introduction:

Hahaha that's quite good :)