PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Installing FireFox RC1

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
FINALLY the Mozilla FireFox Release Candidate is out! <(^_^<)

But there is a problem, I have Ubuntu 8.04 64bit and I want to update my FireFox Beta 5 to the Release Candidate but it won't update through FireFox i have no idea where to go from there......

I have downloaded the Release Candidate from Mozilla's website. but i have no idea what to do with it.....

Bodsda
May 23rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
after youve downloaded it in a terminal type

cd /path/to/folder/firefox

then run it with

./firefox

sharks
May 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
what r the files in the folder there? is there a bin file or .configure file?

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
what r the files in the folder there? is there a bin file or .configure file?

none of the sort my friend

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
after youve downloaded it in a terminal type

cd /path/to/folder/firefox

then run it with

./firefox

okay this worked but how do i make the shortcuts for my desktop and the top Panel?

oh and none of my plugins were working either

sharks
May 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Right click on the desktop and select create launcher and type firefox-3.0

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
did this and it just launches the old version of FireFox
should i remove the old version?

sharks
May 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
if u want to keep ur addons keep the old one.

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
wil all my data get deleted along w/ it
how do i keep it?

sharks
May 23rd, 2008, 06:17 AM
copy .mozilla . it has ur preference.

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
lol
be more specific
where is it?

Maestro23
May 23rd, 2008, 06:20 AM
lol
be more specific
where is it?

Hidden directory in your home directory.

/home/username

ls -a

Should see .mozilla

sharks
May 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM
its in the home foler. its hidden. is this enough and useful?

Bubba64
May 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
FINALLY the Mozilla FireFox Release Candidate is out! <(^_^<)

But there is a problem, I have Ubuntu 8.04 64bit and I want to update my FireFox Beta 5 to the Release Candidate but it won't update through FireFox i have no idea where to go from there......

I have downloaded the Release Candidate from Mozilla's website. but i have no idea what to do with it.....

now I have a 32 bit so I don't know if this will work but here is a blog that tells you the launchpad repository link for a straight download. when I did it on both of my computers it overwrote the Hardy version and kept all the add ons, plugins and bookmarks.
http://blog.rosanegra.org/2008/05/20/how-to-install-firefox-3-rc1-on-ubuntu-hardy/
The only problem was with my Thunderbird email not hyperlinking fro email but I fixed this with the configuration editor.

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
yeah except i dont see it
i have view hidden folders enabled

nvr mind!!
found it!!!!
okay so after removal and evrything
where do i put the folder?
in the same place?

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
now I have a 32 bit so I don't know if this will work but here is a blog that tells you the launchpad repository link for a straight download. when I did it on both of my computers it overwrote the Hardy version and kept all the add ons, plugins and bookmarks.
http://blog.rosanegra.org/2008/05/20/how-to-install-firefox-3-rc1-on-ubuntu-hardy/
The only problem was with my Thunderbird email not hyperlinking fro email but I fixed this with the configuration editor.

whats the exact code you used
i cant seem to figure it out

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
phwew!!!
GOT IT!!!

Thanks for all the Help Everyone!!!!!!

Maestro23
May 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
Good deal man. Please mark this thread "Solved".

Bubba64
May 23rd, 2008, 06:43 AM
whats the exact code you used
i cant seem to figure it out

What I do or did was pasted that launchpad address into the 3rd party of software sources which is in synaptic or system-administration-software sources. If you open up software sources then third party then add to paste that address in then add then close it will reload your repositories and you will see a update icon on the top panel click and install. Butmake sure you remove the original download and make sure this is a 64 bit compatible situation. I suspect launchpad will give you the right program but I don't know if the pasted address is different for 32 or 64 bit, be careful. You got it let us know if you used the launchpad with 64 bit or just installed the Mozilla package.

gnrathon
May 23rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
What I do or did was pasted that launchpad address into the 3rd party of software sources which is in synaptic or system-administration-software sources. If you open up software sources then third party then add to paste that address in then add then close it will reload your repositories and you will see a update icon on the top panel click and install. Butmake sure you remove the original download and make sure this is a 64 bit compatible situation. I suspect launchpad will give you the right program but I don't know if the pasted address is different for 32 or 64 bit, be careful. You got it let us know if you used the launchpad with 64 bit or just installed the Mozilla package.

yeah everything worked fined
no problems at all