PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE configuration

suby-luby
May 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 but not able to do any customizations of the desktop.

For example, I read that there used to be a K menu editor which you would lanuch by right clicking on the K menue. However, this does not exist.

Another example, my desktop wallpaper is always stretched to cover whole screen, and I find no way to prevent that.

I do not want my sub-menu to open in place of the major menu, but rather to its right (i.e., not the new Vista way).

Can anyone help. There does not seem any documentation regarding KDE for 8.04

Please help
Thanks

chandra
May 23rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I am using KDE 3.5.9 and do not have this experience. Are you by any chance using KDE 4?

abn91c
May 23rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 but not able to do any customizations of the desktop.

For example, I read that there used to be a K menu editor which you would lanuch by right clicking on the K menue. However, this does not exist.

Another example, my desktop wallpaper is always stretched to cover whole screen, and I find no way to prevent that.

I do not want my sub-menu to open in place of the major menu, but rather to its right (i.e., not the new Vista way).

Please help
Thanks

it will now say menu editor when you right click on a menu item, it will take you to the editor, for the wallpaper when you right click on the desktop and go to configure desktop it is on the options pulldown menu to tile, center, stretch wallpaper

kuja
May 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM

Please help
Thanks

You're seeing some of the limitations of KDE4 in its current state. things should be back in order in KDE 4.1. I hope.

suby-luby
May 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
You're seeing some of the limitations of KDE4 in its current state. things should be back in order in KDE 4.1. I hope.

Thank you all, many of the suggestions did not work. When is KDE 4.1 supposed to be ready ?

benerivo
May 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
KDE 4.1 release dates are here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_4). I don't use kde4 at the moment, but i had the same problems as you describe. You can change the main menu button so that it functions in a kde3 style. To do this, I think you can remove the main menu button from the panel and then right click to 'add widgets'. In the menu that comes up, you can add a 'traditional' (i forget the term they use) menu which will not operate in the 'vista/kde4' style.

suby-luby
May 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
KDE 4.1 release dates are here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_4). I don't use kde4 at the moment, but i had the same problems as you describe. You can change the main menu button so that it functions in a kde3 style. To do this, I think you can remove the main menu button from the panel and then right click to 'add widgets'. In the menu that comes up, you can add a 'traditional' (i forget the term they use) menu which will not operate in the 'vista/kde4' style.

This did it. However, now the KDE button appears on the right hand side of the panel and I cannot figure out how to move it to the left :confused:

benerivo
May 23rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
I could only do it by removing all the buttons/widgets on the panel and adding them all back in the order I wanted them to be in (in kde4.0 you can't drag one past another).