PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation Problems

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hi my name is Anthony, I recently acquired a P3 500Mhz machine, and am trying to install Ubuntu on it just to test out linux. Never really used before but I am keen to have a look. Unfortunately when trying to run Ubunutu from the cd its comes up with an error Warning Failsafe Mode was already attempted within 30 seconds. Warning: Falling back to gdm to report the issue. When I try to install it, it says something about failed to load graphics. Could someone please help me with this problem. I really want to get Ubuntu going! Thanks Anthony

Lord Landis
May 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Welcome aboard, Anthony.

When you tried to boot the LiveCD, which graphical mode(s) did you try? You should be able to get it up and running if you set the graphics to 800x600 16-bit. Also, do you know what sort of graphics card this system has? If it's an Intel, ATI, or nVidia, there shouldn't be any problems, but it's always good to check.

abn91c
May 23rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Hi my name is Anthony, I recently acquired a P3 500Mhz machine, and am trying to install Ubuntu on it just to test out linux. Never really used before but I am keen to have a look. Unfortunately when trying to run Ubunutu from the cd its comes up with an error Warning Failsafe Mode was already attempted within 30 seconds. Warning: Falling back to gdm to report the issue. When I try to install it, it says something about failed to load graphics. Could someone please help me with this problem. I really want to get Ubuntu going! Thanks Anthony

for a 500mhz machine try xubuntu, if you are set on installing ubuntu find and install version 7.04 instead, the 8.04 version may not like the 500mhz processor unless you have a lot of ram

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Its an S3 8MB graphics card with 256MB SDRAM. What exactly is ACPI i think that might have something to do with the problem. I have turned ACPI off and trying an install in safe mode graphics. How do i change it to 800x600 16bit? It seems to be installing with ACPI turned off. What is this? And why does work with it turned off!!! LOL! Cheers