PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Gentoo in unallocated space via ubuntu

marty1011
May 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Hello. I am very new to linux and I want to install Gentoo in a 7 gb unallocated space created by resizing Ubuntu using Ubuntu LiveCD. However I do not know what to do from here on. I am trying to follow this http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4#fdisk.
I do not want to use fdisk as mentioned there since I am afraid I will wipe off my Vista and Ubuntu (I am running dual-boot). And also I cannot create a new partition in that unallocated space since I have 4 primarty partitions already. Vista (sda1-ntfs), Ubuntu (sda3-ext3), sda4 is extended and linux-swap is sda5 under sda4 and a recovery section for Vista in sda2. Can someone please guide me?

Any help will be appreciated.

medic2000
May 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Make a backup for important files. Then download the gparted live cd and resize it!

marty1011
May 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Make a backup for important files. Then download the gparted live cd and resize it!

I have acquired the gparted the live cd. However gparted fails to start x11. Is it possible to use gparted from ubuntu to accomplish this? And what should I do after I resize the partition?

Thanks a lot for your help.

HunterThomson
May 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I have always wanted to install gentoo.... I have spent the last week reading about it and downloaded the install cd KDE and level3. I would also like to here what people here say about installing gentoo with ubuntu.

MONODA
May 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
be warned that installing gentoo might take a few days.(no joke)

marty1011
May 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I have acquired the gparted the live cd. However gparted fails to start x11. Is it possible to use gparted from ubuntu to accomplish this? And what should I do after I resize the partition?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Nevermind. I have figured out how to make it work. Thanks.

marty1011
May 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
be warned that installing gentoo might take a few days.(no joke)

I know but I am up for the challenge.:)

marty1011
May 25th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Ok. I have created a new logical partition inside my Extended partition. Thanks a lot guys.

marty1011
May 27th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I have been using the gentoo handbook but I got stuck at the grub config. I don't know how to add gentoo in /boot/grub/menu.lst of Ubuntu partition.
Also I am not very sure with the command
cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r8 Any help regarding these will be appreciated.

trimeta
May 27th, 2008, 04:55 AM
For the grub config, what problems have you had in particular? Make sure to read the bit about how Grub's partition terminology works; if your Gentoo partition is on /dev/sda7, you'd need to have the root line read "root (hd0,6)", because Grub zero-indexes. Could you give us a bit more information about your setup, in particular your partitioning scheme, with stuff like how many primary, how many logical, what each of them does, etc.?

marty1011
May 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hi.
here is my partition scheme:

sda1----ntfs----vista boot(flag)
sda2----ntfs----vista recovery
sda3----ext3----Ubuntu
sda4----Extended
sda5----linux swap
sda6----gentoo

sorry I cannot provide the fdisk result. I am reinstalling Gentoo at the moment.

Thanks
Edit: Since I do not have a separate boot partition I don't have to add it in the fstab of gentoo right? (please correct me if I am wrong). All I have to do is just add the root and the swap right?
So it would look something like:
/dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0

regomodo
May 28th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hi.
here is my partition scheme:

sda1----ntfs----vista boot(flag)
sda2----ntfs----vista recovery
sda3----ext3----Ubuntu
sda4----Extended
sda5----linux swap
sda6----gentoo

sorry I cannot provide the fdisk result. I am reinstalling Gentoo at the moment.

Thanks
Edit: Since I do not have a separate boot partition I don't have to add it in the fstab of gentoo right? (please correct me if I am wrong). All I have to do is just add the root and the swap right?
So it would look something like:
/dev/sda6 /mnt/gentoo ext3 noatime 0 1

yeah, if you have no partition for /boot you can leave the BOOT part of fstab commented or omitted.

trimeta
May 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Actually, since sda6 is the root of your Gentoo system, you'd want your fstab to look like:

/dev/sda6 / ext3 noatime 0 1

/mnt/gentoo is where you had things on the liveCD, but for the actual system you need to mount the root (that is, /) to something, and since that's where you installed Gentoo, that's where you mount it.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget the following line; it's probably already in the example, but just in case.

shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

As for Grub, with the setup you have you'd want something like:

title Gentoo
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/whatever_you_called_your_kernel root=/dev/sda6 other_kernel_options

Edit: Possible problem: I'm referring to the /etc/fstab on your Gentoo partition. Don't modify the one on your Ubuntu partition, that can have whatever you want (/mnt/gentoo is fine for allowing you to access your Gentoo partition data while running Ubuntu). You just need to make sure that the Gentoo partition's own /etc/fstab has something mounted to / in its /etc/fstab, otherwise it won't boot.

regomodo
May 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Actually, since sda6 is the root of your Gentoo system, you'd want your fstab to look like:

/dev/sda6 / ext3 noatime 0 1

/mnt/gentoo is where you had things on the liveCD, but for the actual system you need to mount the root (that is, /) to something, and since that's where you installed Gentoo, that's where you mount it.

Woops, did not read that far down. Mounting on /mnt/gentoo will not work.

marty1011
June 11th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot, I have fixed the problem. Sorry for the late reply (been busy with school finals).

Regards
marty

regomodo
June 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks a lot, I have fixed the problem. Sorry for the late reply (been busy with school finals).

Regards
marty

Haha, tell me about it. Got to pull about 2 more all-nighters and i'll be done by Friday. Wahay!

(Yes, i'm procrastinating.)