View Full Version : [gnome] File permissions and nautilus & vfat partition

May 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
I have a file with the extension .nss that I've created a mimetype for and created a launcher for in nautilus. When a file with this extension is on a Win98 partition that is mounted at startup, the .nss file's permissions are: -rwxrwx---. When I try to open the file from nautilus, NOTHING happens. If I go to a Terminal commandline and do a chmod a+rw on the file, there are no messages and the permissions remain unchanged.
If I RC on the file while it is still on the Win98 partition, chose Open with "Other application" and chose "Slide show" (my entry) from the list, the program starts as expected.

If I copy the .nss file to a folder in my home, I can chmod and now I see the Open with "Slide show" in nautilus's RC menu and my program starts when I dblclick on the file, as expected.

It seems that I need to set the file's permissions for nautilus to recognize it and present the correct menu.
How can I do that to the files while they are on a Win98 partition?
The fstab entry is ... defaults,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 ...
Is there a value for umask that will change the settings for the folders/files on that partition?

May 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
The FAT32 filesystem can't hold the linux permissions so you cannot chmod anything.

Try uid=yourusername,umask=000,rw

May 23rd, 2008, 02:26 AM
I've tried several combinations.
chmod works at least within a login session.

I changed ummask to 020 and Restarted
ls -l showed -rwxr-xrwx
Then sudo chmod u-x <file> changed to --> -rw-r-xrwx
nautilus didn't work as desired (didn't move off folder)
then sudo chmod a-x <file> changed to --> -rw-r--rw-
moved nautilus off and back to folder and now DC worked!

Don't understand why x setting on file prevents nautilus from working??? When its turned off, nautilus will execute my program.
When x is set, nautilus does nothing.