PDA

View Full Version : Small Clinic for new Users starting

compiledkernel
May 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Going to start out small, the aim of the group will be to foster new users only. 8 members to start (reserve a spot, once the event is announced). Ill be hosting the group myself, locally somewhere in nw atlanta metro.

The aim of the group will be to

-- Address functionality issues of your ubuntu system.
-- Discuss what you wish to do with your ubuntu system, and get you geared in that direction.
-- General Q & A.

Intended Audience

-- New users only. If you just picked up Ubuntu and have no idea what your doing or why, you need to jump on this ship.

Questions and comments to this thread are suggested.

jimpop
May 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Count me in to help out as needed. I can bring my Fedora box and showcase all the goodness of F9. :-$

compiledkernel
May 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
No interested parties thus far, other than the afore mentioned jimpop?

wahoobob
May 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
No interested parties thus far, other than the afore mentioned jimpop?
Interested? YES... NW Atlanta? No can do. I wish there were help available in Augusta, GA. I have shown this linux distro to several people since I started using it a few months ago, but I have real trouble with the commands in Terminal and questions that I post are seldom answered on the forum... probably too simple! Right now I would like to get backup info so I all my tweaking doesn't disappear when I screw something up trying to get something else to work. Also, I am stumbling around in the Micro$oft XP VirtualBox trying to get XP to see my home folder and share it as well as use USB devices. Any help or pointers toward good HOWTO's would be appreciated.

BLTicklemonster
June 2nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
I will do my best to get there, just let me know when and where. Maybe I can finally figure out how to do a simple network on this machine so that I can get here from the XP machines in the house, and have it last past a reboot or an upgrade!

momilla
June 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
This is great. do you have a date/time in mind. btw, how inexperienced must a new user be. I can find my way around and solve some issues, but by no means am i anything beyond beginner

Otto-C
June 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Interested? Right now I would like to get backup info so I all my tweaking doesn't disappear when I screw something up trying to get something else to work. .

Just came across this for doing backup.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/SimpleBackupSuite

hth
otto-c