PDA

View Full Version : TESCO`S seling linux mags!

bilbobagins
May 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hi never thought I`d see the day ... but Tesco`s are selling LINUX FORMAT mag!.(UK)
Just shows that Linux is now becoming a mainstream 0/S. and Ubuntu now being recognized as an O/S in its own right. Take note Microsoft.
:guitar:
Bilbo.

aysiu
May 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Just shows that Linux is now becoming a mainstream 0/S. Not really. Linux Format has been in Borders bookstores for years now.

GCoffee
May 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Next stop, TESCO!

uraldinho
May 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
They sell anything there. Assuming 5% of OSs are linux, 5% market target is not a small number for tesco's.

mips
May 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi never thought I`d see the day ... but Tesco`s are selling LINUX FORMAT mag!.(UK)

Probably the best linux mag out there. We have it over here but it is way to expensive as most mags are.

kanem
May 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Not really. Linux Format has been in Borders bookstores for years now.
Borders is a huge multi-national bookstore that sells magazines for every niche hobby that one could think of. They should have been selling Linux magazines years ago. They probably also sell magazines for people who like to go fishing in caves. Tesco's, on the other hand, is a glorified grocery store. Them selling Linux Format definitely means a higher mindshare for Linux.

ugm6hr
May 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM

Except they have also been selling Linux Computers (Ubuntu 6.06) for a while too (check their website).

Given they are helping create the user base, it seems sensible they should cater to it.

GOROSSI
May 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Shame my shopping came this morning else I would have amended it.

Good News all round

John T. Monkey
May 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
They have been selling this for a long time. I bought last months issue from there.

Even Morrisons have been selling Linux Format for a while...

Joeb454
May 23rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
A lot of the major supermarkets have been selling them for a while

regomodo
May 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Sainsbury's has had them for a while.

perce
May 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM
Just shows that Linux is now becoming a mainstream 0/S.

It has been mainstream for some year, at least according to my definition of mainstream which is: you can open the most common file formats, you can plug the most common hardware and it will work, you can perform the most common tasks with native applications.

and Ubuntu now being recognized as an O/S in its own right.

It isn't, it is a "brand" of GNU/Linux

Take note Microsoft.

They did, long time ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Halloween_documents_leak