PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which software replaces adobe fireworks CS3 in linux

safe357
May 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
I am new to linux and i want to do a web based project in linux and i am using php. please anobody tell me which software replaces adobe fireworks cs3 in ubuntu 8.04

opscure
May 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
gimp

NateMan
May 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
adobe fireworks is fairly different from gimp, unless gimp has started using vector graphics... But seriously there is no direct replacement for adobe fireworks, however in linux there are many programs you can use to accomplish the same thing. I recommend inkscape or xara xtreme for you vector graphics editing. Gimp is probably the best for bitmap editing, and as far as dreamweaver, scream seems to work fine for me, although I normally just use a text editor for that sort of thing. More or less you have to use multiple programs for the same results, which should be as good as what you get with fireworks. I haven't had much trouble using the linux software at all. I prefer gimp to photoshop, however the vector editors in linux are not a full featured as illustrator. If you need any help let me know, I'd be glad you help you with the software.

windependence
May 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
A little off topic but NVU is also a good replacement for Dreamweaver and works on all platforms.

http://nvudev.com/index.php

-Tim

valajbeg
May 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
adobe fireworks is fairly different from gimp, unless gimp has started using vector graphics... But seriously there is no direct replacement for adobe fireworks, however in linux there are many programs you can use to accomplish the same thing. I recommend inkscape or xara xtreme for you vector graphics editing. Gimp is probably the best for bitmap editing, and as far as dreamweaver, scream seems to work fine for me, although I normally just use a text editor for that sort of thing. More or less you have to use multiple programs for the same results, which should be as good as what you get with fireworks. I haven't had much trouble using the linux software at all. I prefer gimp to photoshop, however the vector editors in linux are not a full featured as illustrator. If you need any help let me know, I'd be glad you help you with the software.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH :D

i wish i knew for Inkscape before : (

mbeach
May 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
i wish i knew for Inkscape before : (
@valajbeg - excellent screencasts at http://screencasters.heathenx.org/ on inkscape. Drastically improved my inkscape abilities.

LepeKaname
May 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
InkScape is one of the best applications in linux (from my point of view)... still in gimp you can have also vectors... But wait... why is this post here? this is suppose to be "Server Platforms"... right?