PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Dual boot minimal with Xubuntu

Inxsible
May 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I just booted up with a minimal CD. I already have Xubuntu running on that machine and I want a dual boot of Xubuntu with a minimal + IceWM.

But I don't see any options for installing the minimal into a specific partition. How would I tell it to install into my sda6? I already have the partitions created when I installed Xubuntu.

Does the minimal CD even have that option?

logos34
May 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
It's been a while since I ran the minimal, but iirc it's like the alternate install where you come to the partitioning section, and highlight the target partition (in this case sda6). You want to use/format it as '/' ext3 plus any other options.

On the other hand, why not just install the icewm desktop (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems#head-9ab4bd9e8d232475c4f954e86171bdf4e291e775) on your xubuntu?

Inxsible
May 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I did exactly that...as in install icewm on xubuntu. I just wanted to keep the two separate at the time. I eventually installed Fluxbuntu on the other partition and I like it quite a bit. IceWM is only good with 3 themes - ThinBlack, IceOSX, IceBuntu. The default themes are bullcrap.

I will probably be testing more lightweight distros on the other partition now after Fluxbuntu, mebbe Arch or OzOs.

I eventually want to get a nice setup with the lightest possible OS with just enough eye candy which I can use in every machine even if my machine is capable of handling higher end graphics, I just want something that I use often not something that is tremendously fancy..but not useful to me.