PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Basic install question

ischlagen
May 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
I tried loading 8.04 last night. I downloaded the iso, burnt it, rebooted (from cd), then it comes to a black screen with a few choices... off the top of my head; install ubuntu, check memory, verify cd, and one or two more choices. along the bottom of the screen are some choices associated w/ F1, F2. Help, boot mode, etc.

I choose install ubuntu, then the Ubuntu logo appears with the loader bar... everything looks great. Then, it goes to the command prompt and game over.

I want to do a full install to the hard drive, not live cd. Should i try reburning the cd, or is there something obvious I'm missing?

I consider myself a 3/10 on computer familiarity, although most of you would probably put me in the 1 > x > -50 range.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
d

MaindotC
May 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Can you describe your hardware - motherboard make/model, memory, type of drives? If you have a packaged set like a Dell or Toshiba just post a link for the manufacturer's website description.

ischlagen
May 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Not sure if this will work, but try this http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=1596141&rpn=PSAD6U&ct=DS&soid=1627667&BV_SessionID=@@@@0576554894.1211468607@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadeeeghlhdlcgfkceghdgngdgmn.0

if not, a toshiba satellite A135-S2276

IntelŪ PentiumŪ dual-core processor T2060
o 1.60GHz, 1MB L2, 533MHz FSB
512 mb (upgraded to 1 gb)
80 gb HD
ATI Radeon Express 200M

MaindotC
May 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Ok first of all I've seen a lot of problems with satellite's and the first thing seems to be an upgrade of the BIOS. Can you check the latest version of your BIOS and upgrade from the manufacturer's website if you don't have the latest version?

ischlagen
May 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Yes, the BIOS was a problem, turning my laptop into a fancy paperweight a few months ago. After working through the nightmare of Toshiba's customer service, I got it in and the BIOS was updated.

Suggestions?

MaindotC
May 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Now that your BIOS is updated, can you try booting from the LiveCD again? Select the first option which is Start or Install Ubuntu.

ischlagen
May 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. The BIOS was updated before I tried any of the installs. If I choose the "install ubuntu" option, the ubuntu logo comes up and then it drops to the command prompt.

ischlagen
May 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Any suggestions?

jwm93k
May 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Greetings, I have had similar failures trying to install from a live CD on versions 7.10 and 8.x. My work around is to download the alternate install CD. This has worked every time for me. It is a little pain to have to make a second CD, but it does seem to install better. My guess is some PCs just have difficultly running the OS live CD and installing at the same time. It may even install faster. I hope this works.

MaindotC
May 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM
ischlagen what's your status?