PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install programs step by step(help needed)

tbones94589
May 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm a rather new user of Ubuntu altogether, I'm having problems installing programs following the terminal instructions listed on the install pages given. If anyone can plz help me I would greatly appreciate the time you take assisting me..... Thank you all for looking, Tony.:confused:

Peter09
May 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
In Linux most programs can be installed through synaptic. If you are a beginner I suggest do it this way for a while.

Following the menues,
System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

When this opens you will see a big list of applications. Just tick the box for the one you want and the Apply.

The rest is automatic.

Also, for a limited range of programs its simpler to go to Applications->Add/Remove

PC

ajgreeny
May 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I agree with Peter09, but it is so easy to use the terminal once you know what you want to install so don't put it away as a possibility just yet.

There are two main terminal apps to use, apt-get and aptitude, both of which use the same back-end as synaptic. Synaptic is easier to use at the start to search for applications, but if you know you want to install for example abiword, the word processor, you type in the terminal
sudo apt-get abiwordor
sudo aptitude abiwordand follow the prompts for password (which won't show on screen at all) and then accept with a "Y" for yes.

I hope that helps.

tbones94589
May 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Thank you guys....You guys are very helpful, I'm hoping that I don't have to worry bout to much more from now on but I did need the initial bump to help me get moving....lol greatly appreciate you taking time to help a newbie..... Tony.

oh btw....you guys rock!!! thx again.:guitar:

Herman
May 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
:) Here are two links on the subject, How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu! (http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/) and, Community Docs: Software Management (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement). :)