PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox vs. Ice weasel

passcode
May 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
My main question is why has the Ubuntu developers chosen Firefox over a completely free (As in freedom) browser like Epiphany or Iceweasle. I fear that it is just because of the popularity of Firefox witch is sad because the means that the developers are leaning more towards being main stream then keeping to the open source spirit. My feelings are really mix about this and I was just looking for input from other users.

ajgreeny
May 22nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Are you suggesting Firefox isn't open source? If so I think you are wrong. OK, I know it's very popular for windows users, and it is produced by a commercial foundation (company), but then so is Ubuntu.
In my opinion, firefox is the default choice because it is the best browser around at the moment. I haven't looked at epiphany for a while now, but it didn't fit my needs when I did and I see no reason to move away from firefox just now.

dicecca112
May 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Iceweasel is Firefox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_conflict_between_Debian_and_Mozilla

vpsville
May 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Iceweasel is just a rename of Firefox because Mozilla owns the trademark on the name 'Firefox'. That goes contrary to the Debian license so they just call it Iceweasel instead.

Ice instead of Fire,
Weasel instead of Fox.

Exactly the same code/program.

-DarkMind-
May 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM
Ice weasel is only a name for firefox used by geeks without brain