PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 8.04, So Slow It's Almost Unusable

deathblossom
May 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hey all, a few problems

1) After logging in, Hardy takes a long time to load. Or rather, it looks like it's loaded, but clicking on anything gives me nothing but a continuously spinning wheel. This goes on for sometime, until Hardy perhaps decides to kick into gear, otherwise it stays frozen and I have to hard reboot. I've been able to get on a couple of times, but not consistently, so I've had to boot up Vista to write this. :(

2) As perhaps a tie-in to the above, the wi-fi takes a long time to indicate that it's connected and once it does, only indicate that it has through the bars in the system and not on my indicator lights.

3) I've noticed that after logging in, if I press the power button and request to restart...nothing happens. It just kind of sits there, for a very long time. As in, I've cut it off, played video games for a while, came back to it and it was still on. At the same time, you can't click on anything (windows won't open), so I assume it's trying to restart, but not succeeding.

deathblossom
May 22nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well, I figured out that it's the wireless. The GDM wouldn't load properly because it couldn't detect a network connection (why does the GDM need one to work?) and once my wireless connects, it works.

I also figured out that my indicator light does work, and that while I thought Ubuntu was connected to the internet, it really wasn't. I'm on a school network and for some reason, Ubuntu is taking an extraordinary amount of time to authorize itself on the network, which for some reason is bringing my entire system to a standstill.