PDA

View Full Version : Need help with regular expressions and sed

yaztromo
May 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
I have a simple text file of which I need to erase the first 97 columns of each line.

Presently I have been using the line:

sed 's/^................................................. ...............................................//g' prods2.csv > prods3.csv

Obviously this isn't very elegant. I'd like something a little smaller, so I tried:

sed 's/^.{97}//g' prods2.csv > prods3.csv

Which doesn't work at all. What am I doing wrong? Suggestions very much appreciated.

mali2297
May 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think cut is an appropriate tool for this task. Try

cut -c98- prods2.csv > prods3.csv

or

cut --complement -c1-97 prods2.csv > prods3.csv

Read man cut for more information.

yaztromo
May 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Awesome I was unaware of that command. Thanks :)

manicman
May 22nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
If you wanted you to use sed you could use the expression

sed -ni '98,$ p' file_name.txt
this will output from line 98 until the end of the file from "file_name.txt" and then overwrite the file afterwards

K.Mandla
May 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Moved to Programming Talk.

WW
May 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
... so I tried:

sed 's/^.{97}//g' prods2.csv > prods3.csv

Which doesn't work at all. What am I doing wrong? Suggestions very much appreciated.
It looks like the cut command is a simple way to accomplish what you want, but since you asked...

Use the -E option to tell sed that you are using an "extended" (or "modern") regular expression rather than a basic regular expression:

sed -E 's/^.{97}//' prods2.csv > prods3.csv
(Since you are matching from the beginning of the line, the g flag will have no effect and can be dropped.)

yaztromo
May 22nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for your response WW.

I need to do some research on the difference between extended and non-extended regex now :)