PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] There is nothing on the Desktop

Sridharrao85
May 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Hello,

I uninstalled some packages using synaptice package manager.
Most of them are related to Evolution. After the reboot, there is nothing on the desktop. There is just a empty screen of ubuntu8.04. There is no top panel and bottom panel. It is not showing my previous files, which were on desktop.

I think, i unnecessarily uninstalled some packages. Is there anyway i can restore my system. I don't remember the package names which i uninstalled. One last thing, If i cannot restore my OS, Is there a way to reinstall without effecting my other os vista.

Even if you don't know the answer, some suggestions with direction are appreciated.

Thanks

jolx
May 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
mabye u uninstalled gnome-panel?

christianxxx
May 22nd, 2008, 06:28 AM
Which would be very easy to install again.... :)

iaculallad
May 22nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Or you could try this:

Press Alt+F2 and enter the commands below:

killall gnome-panel

or

kill `pidof gnome-panel`

then restart

Sridharrao85
May 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys for suggesting me sth. But, it didn't work.

After booting into Ubuntu, I can see my mouse cursor on the desktop, other than that, i cannot see anthing. If i try to right click or left, nothing is happening.

When booting, it saying that, it is mounting my windows drive, but i cannot see that drive on the desktop.

If i press Alt+F2 also nothing is happening. But, If i press ctrl+alt+del it is giving me the logout screen.

vanadium
May 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
I would start reinstalling "ubuntu-desktop" (which will reinstall all packages you erroneously deleted, but also evolution) to see if this brings your account back to life.

Sridharrao85
May 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM
aa

Sridharrao85
May 26th, 2008, 04:03 AM
It is working now. Thanks a lot buddy.