PDA

View Full Version : Do u want developers to create more games for ubuntu?

sharks
May 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Do u want developers to create more games for ubuntu?

eragon100
May 22nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Yes, offcourse!

id1337x
May 22nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Heck yes! The more people that see that Ubuntu is a consideration for developing the better. I personally have witnessed several people who like Ubuntu turned off because of an attraction to some video game.

frup
May 22nd, 2008, 06:02 AM
I want developers to do what ever they feel they need to do to make the distribution they use better.

If that is nice games for Ubuntu, I'll be delighted.

I'm currently making a Javascript 3d tic tac toe web app for fun (basically refreshing my JS skills)

once it's done and the AI is satisfactory I will try port it to python and maybe try learn OpenGL... every other time I have tried to move from PHP or JS to something non web related I haven't got very far though... this feels a little different.

I'm a terrible coder though :P

Madman6510
May 22nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
Ok, who voted no?

cardinals_fan
May 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Ok, who voted no?
Me. It's not that I have a problem with games (the more, the merrier), but there are a few things that worry me more, such as drivers. In any case, which developers are you talking about? If you mean the game developers (EA, Atari, etc.), then sure.

sharks
May 23rd, 2008, 06:05 AM
i think they should concentrate more on games.

LaRoza
May 23rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
Heck yes! The more people that see that Ubuntu is a consideration for developing the better. I personally have witnessed several people who like Ubuntu turned off because of an attraction to some video game.

I know many people who like Ubuntu (Linux in general) because it has more games than Windows. Honestly, look under the games menus in Windows and Ubuntu and tell which has more. Also, look in Add/Remove under games. Linux rules in this area.

Me. It's not that I have a problem with games (the more, the merrier), but there are a few things that worry me more, such as drivers. In any case, which developers are you talking about? If you mean the game developers (EA, Atari, etc.), then sure.

I voted no also.

FuturePilot
May 23rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
I know many people who like Ubuntu (Linux in general) because it has more games than Windows. Honestly, look under the games menus in Windows and Ubuntu and tell which has more. Also, look in Add/Remove under games. Linux rules in this area.
The amount of games in the repositories is incredible. :)

madjr
May 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
what developers you asking?

commercial games by gaming companies?

or free games made by the ubuntu developers?

i think you should detail your posts better. remember that There's an edit button.

HunterThomson
May 23rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
I don't pay games but it seems games are the only thing LiNUX needs to take the desktop market.

Lod
May 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Voted yes, but to be honest I only play one (sort of) game since 1995: Civilization. This would be the only one I want to have. If they did could switcht to linux completely.
And freeciv just isn't the same.

kenweill
May 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I voted yes. Though, not sure if what you mean is commercial games or not.
Yes. Im refering to commercial games.

As its one of the reason why i can't switch completely to linux in my internet cafe. Because of games. Online and offline games specifically for windows.

There's WINE but it's not as smooth as playing under windows.

madjr
May 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
There's WINE but it's not as smooth as playing under windows.

playing games in wine is very smooth, just that some games simply don't work.

but mostly of the popular ones do

insane_alien
May 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
if some games were made for linux(or even just a linux port of some windows game) then i would probably buy it if i thought it would be a decent game.

k33bz
May 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I voted yes, And I do agree there is already plenty of games available for Linux. But I do mean yes to more commercial games. However, first thing is first. In order to attract Companies, we need to have more drivers for more hardware.

regomodo
May 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
no - i want them for Linux

Xzallion
May 23rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
The Ubuntu Developers need to focus on Ubuntu. Games are useless without good graphics drivers and good hardware support, so let's let the Ubuntu dev's do what they do best; make Ubuntu rock solid.

Commercial game developers/hobbyist developers need to focus more on cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) game development.

Really if you want more games get involved and help out. And I'm not saying code one, but maybe write up a design document and see if anyones interested in picking it up, maybe make some new graphics/sounds for current open source games, or maybe help with documenting a game. There are numerous ways to get involved and help make more games for Ubuntu.

gameryoshi600
May 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
If official game companies sure but the linux developers nahh

kinematic
May 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
@ the OP : Do you want games to be developed just for Ubuntu or are you not aware that Ubuntu is not the only distro in existence ?

wootah
May 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure about this. You can get quite a lot of entertainment from flash games now-a-days, but it is still quite nice to have an immersive 3D experience from time to time.

I'm kind of partial to this--yes I would like to see more games developed for Linux, but I don't really care. I do most of my gaming on consoles because it is a platform that stays consistent. Devs. have a set hardware and they must conform to it. Sure that can lead to less cutting edge games but at least you know you won't be getting killed in-game because of graphics or processor lag (aside from obvious graphically intense portions that would otherwise slow down everyone else as well). That is one of the big things that pisses me off with PC games, mainly because I have never had a solid machine for gaming. I was that guy in CounterStrike that got used to the graphics lag and became really good with it and when I finally upgraded my machine, I couldn't play it anymore. Pretty sad :D

I do like seeing the cutting edge games on PC that truly bring top of the line hardware to the ground, but I would rather wait a few years when hardware gets wicked cheap to buy. That is when I would pick up the game and try it; but by then, everyone has already left for the next latest and greatest. When the latest and greatest console game comes out, all you have to do is wait in line and buy it. There is no need to worry about system specs (just the RROD ](*,)).

As a few people mentioned above, I would rather see more stability and usability for Linux and its desktop environments. Eyecandy never really hurt anyone either :) But if games help convert people to Linux, then it's all good :D

justin whitaker
May 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I voted yes, but only because I would love to see a AAA open source title developed.

I don't think the economics of the business really make it possible for commerical game developers to port their games over to Ubuntu.

wootah
May 23rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
I voted yes, but only because I would love to see a AAA open source title developed.

I don't think the economics of the business really make it possible for commerical game developers to port their games over to Ubuntu.

What about Introversion ? Darwinia (and soon to be Multiwinia :D), Defcon and Uplink are available to both Linux and Windows platforms. All of those games are commercial and none of them suck!

Does anyone else know of companies that do the same? Isn't Doom 3 available for both ? UT3 ?

justin whitaker
May 23rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
What about Introversion ? Darwinia (and soon to be Multiwinia :D), Defcon and Uplink are available to both Linux and Windows platforms. All of those games are commercial and none of them suck!

Does anyone else know of companies that do the same? Isn't Doom 3 available for both ? UT3 ?

Introversion makes indie games...they aren't making something like Doom 3, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, etc....their scale is much smaller, and they aren't charging $60 per install either.

It makes sense for them to put their titles on every platform they can to maximize revenue.

robertchahine
May 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM

I voted no also.

but i think that the linux games are simple and amazing.
but there's a lot of windows games are incredible and don't work on linux.
if we look at the EA games and Ea sports, counterstrike all works on windows and not on linux.I voted for yes.

but the way , my post doesn't mean that the linux games are awful:i play BOMBERCLONE more than 2 hours per day :D

forrestcupp
May 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Why do we need more/better drivers for commercial game creators to create games for us? All hardcore game creators focus entirely on nvidia and ATI video chipsets, and we already have good enough drivers to play games on them.

If things continue in the current direction, what we need is a big enough market share to make the extra work pay off. But personally, I believe that it is possible to create games that use one engine that can be compiled on different platforms with the same set of code. That would make it effortless to create a game that can work in Windows, Linux, or Mac. If they can do it with Ogre3D, why can't they create any engine to be like that?