PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple problems after upgrade to Hardy

Baasha
May 22nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
Running Hardy 8.04 (??) on an i386 PC

After upgrading via the upgrade manager I was unable to log in, getting the message "Greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one."

I followed the advice of many threads in this and the beginner's forum to try to solve the problem. None of them worked and in the meantime I don't know what I may have screwed up. Then I downloaded the live CD (advice from the forum) but found I could not do a clean upgrade from that. Then I tried the alternate CD. Again there was no option to do an upgrade, only an installation. So I started the terminal, and as per advice from the forum, I tried "gksu sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade". The commands were not accepted by the rudimentary shell provided on the CD..

Finally, I tried starting gdmsetup (from the live CD) and found out, quite by accident, that changing the login script from xserver to gnome fixed the problem. Now I can at least login without using the CD.

Now I am confused about what I actually have on my system. According to the system monitor I have Hardy 8.04. But then I started up Firefox and it says I have version 2.0.0.14 installed. I then went to Synaptic Package Manager and it said I had Firefox 3 installed.

Needless to say, I am now thoroughly confused. I am not sure I have a complete Hardy installed. How do I go about cleaning up this mess?