PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Logoff Command

dummyapple
May 22nd, 2008, 01:13 AM
I was in my desktop environment and accidentally exited fluxbox. now I cannot open windows etc

So I need to logout via command line. How can I logout? I don't want to reboot or shutdown (it's a server)

VMC
May 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
I was in my desktop environment and accidentally exited fluxbox. now I cannot open windows etc

So I need to logout via command line. How can I logout? I don't want to reboot or shutdown (it's a server)
Type logout or Ctrl+d

kerry_s
May 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM

just type> exit
but, if you want to get back in just type> startx

pewpewaliens
March 6th, 2010, 12:00 AM
just type> exit
but, if you want to get back in just type> startx

Thanks alot! I was stuck in and xterm-only login

aeon.flux
April 28th, 2010, 09:03 AM
what command sould i type into applet, if i want it to do the same as Ctrl+Alt+Delete? (menu where i can choose from shut down, suspend, hybernate etc)

kerry_s
April 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
what command sould i type into applet, if i want it to do the same as Ctrl+Alt+Delete? (menu where i can choose from shut down, suspend, hybernate etc)

for what desktop/window manager?

in gnome i think it's "gnome-session-save --logout", check the man page.

aeon.flux
May 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
no, i wanted it for avant windows navigator, because it supports only log out windows, then u can only log out, or switch user. i;ve installed lucid lynx yesterday and the applet know some more commands by default, so i dont need this anymore

elvis-nguyen
November 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM
for what desktop/window manager?

in gnome i think it's "gnome-session-save --logout", check the man page.

This is exact what i am looking for. Thanks!

rajun198
March 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
To logout from command line in ubuntu 11.10 its "gnome-session-quit "

RCress
June 14th, 2012, 02:13 AM
To logout from command line in ubuntu 11.10 its "gnome-session-quit "

Thank you so much! I tried the Gnome/Openbox setting when I logged in to 12.04. It only showed me the desktop. I was able to bring up the terminal and Firefox to view your post. I'm set to log in automatically, so even restarting my computer would not have taken me to a working desktop. Thanks for saving me from having to reinstall!

Why does Ubuntu include the Gnome/Openbox as a log-in option when it doesn't work? Doesn't seem very newbie friendly.