PDA

View Full Version : Powerballs

Collin
October 22nd, 2005, 01:19 AM
I suppose most of us here in this forum are spending much of our time in front of a computer typing away. I myself would say that I spend an average of 6-8 hours a day in front of a computer and well after a few years I started to developpe a slight carpal tunnel syndrome well it's just the nerves in my left arm/wrist that hurt whenever I do specific movements. So I decided to procure myself a powerballs, so far it's pretty cool and I feel like it is a small workout but I'm wondering if anyone here ever tried one over a long period of time. Are there real benifits in the long run or is it a total gimmick ??

stuporglue
October 22nd, 2005, 01:52 AM
I've never used them, but carpal tunel should mostly go away by itself if you use proper posture. I was getting it, then I got rid of the laptop keyboard, got a new, better fitting chair, and lowered my desk so my wrists were straight.

Now as long as I sit like I should, I don't get it. I probably spend an average of 10 hours a day on the computer.

My experience only, YMMV.

Dr. Nick
October 22nd, 2005, 05:31 AM
I've never used them, but carpal tunel should mostly go away by itself if you use proper posture. I was getting it, then I got rid of the laptop keyboard, got a new, better fitting chair, and lowered my desk so my wrists were straight.

Now as long as I sit like I should, I don't get it. I probably spend an average of 10 hours a day on the computer.

My experience only, YMMV.

Oh, so your saying that laying on my bed typing this on my laptop isn't good for me lol ;) I to am developing some carpal tunnel, I dont know much about power balls but when it hurts real bad like now I just hunt and peck. I plan to start working out and streghten my hands and wrist some and see if it helps

rattaro
October 22nd, 2005, 05:59 AM
I suppose most of us here in this forum are spending much of our time in front of a computer typing away. I myself would say that I spend an average of 6-8 hours a day in front of a computer and well after a few years I started to developpe a slight carpal tunnel syndrome well it's just the nerves in my left arm/wrist that hurt whenever I do specific movements. So I decided to procure myself a powerballs, so far it's pretty cool and I feel like it is a small workout but I'm wondering if anyone here ever tried one over a long period of time. Are there real benifits in the long run or is it a total gimmick ??

Gimmick. Carpal tunnel is usually caused by the position of your wrist when you sleep, assuming that you are otherwise healthy. Wrist splints to wear at night while you sleep, and maybe when you type are usually the most effective first line treatment.

rattaro
October 22nd, 2005, 06:00 AM
Oh, so your saying that laying on my bed typing this on my laptop isn't good for me lol ;) I to am developing some carpal tunnel, I dont know much about power balls but when it hurts real bad like now I just hunt and peck. I plan to start working out and streghten my hands and wrist some and see if it helps

That may make it worse. Weight lifters who really work out their wrists often develop carpal tunnel.

Brunellus
October 22nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
for half a second I thought the "personal enhancement" spam had snuck onto the forums.

Dr. Nick
October 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
That may make it worse. Weight lifters who really work out their wrists often develop carpal tunnel.

Heh not planning to become a powerlifter, but I can see how working out to much could make it worse:) My main problem is muscle soreness from extensive mouse clicking. I find the best soultion sometimes is just to stop for awhile if possible.

Collin
October 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM
well working in a call center I always get different cubicles and different keyboards, chair and so on so it's kinda hard to set my office space and aswell when I'm at home I have my laptop on a kitchen table however it does sit at a very comfortable height.

Anyway for the last three years I was typing an average of 6 hours a days (translating morse code and typing practice) and that is during that period of time that I developped strains.

anyway the the powerball if feeling good hopefully it's going to work well in the long run, it feels like if you had been writting for hours non-stop