PDA

View Full Version : Wow...

xequence
October 22nd, 2005, 01:02 AM
Apple did 64 bit years before microsoft (OSX was out in what... 2001 or something?). Windows computers are just getting their feet wet in dual core, and now apple has a new mac with two dual core cpus, FOUR?!?! Each is at 2.5 Ghz. Lets do some math... 2.5 * 4 = 10. Thats 10, yes count 'em, 10 Ghz in total. In 64 bit.

Is it just me, or is this really really crazily awesome? I wish I had that computer.

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-5902610-2.html

Though for 4000$ I expect more then 512 MB RAM. I expect 2 GB. And a 500 GB HDD.

From apple.ca:

"Enter the dual-core PowerPC G5 processor: one silicon chip with two independent 2.5GHz processor cores. Now take two of those chips and you have the Power Mac G5 Quad, for groundbreaking quad-core processing."

$3,999.00

Two dual-core 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 processors

1.25GHz frontside bus per processor

1MB L2 cache per core

512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)

250GB Serial ATA hard drive

16x SuperDrive (double-layer)

Three open PCI-Express expansion slots

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256MB GDDR SDRAM

gord
October 22nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
dual cores are only as good as the software that uses them;
software not designed for dual cores = 2.5ghz

n personally i think 64bit is overhyped, it doesn't magically speed up your computer, tisn't how it works.

xequence
October 22nd, 2005, 02:12 AM
dual cores are only as good as the software that uses them;
software not designed for dual cores = 2.5ghz
No, thats 64 bit. Dual core is just like having more then one processor... Like you could be ripping and encoding a DVD on one processor, ripping and encoding another one on another processor, encoding music on the third, and playing unreal tournament on the fourth.

n personally i think 64bit is overhyped, it doesn't magically speed up your computer, tisn't how it works.

Not for everyday applications but for games it will be really good.

mstlyevil
October 22nd, 2005, 02:13 AM
Two dual cores and they are still having problems competing with IBM clones. Macs are just overpriced and do not perform as well as they should. Wait for them to go Intel next year and you will see a big difference in their performance.

xequence
October 22nd, 2005, 02:22 AM
Two dual cores and they are still having problems competing with IBM clones. Macs are just overpriced and do not perform as well as they should. Wait for them to go Intel next year and you will see a big difference in their performance.

Competing commercially, not technically. I am sure that g5 quadra can outperform any intel based computer. (Any being one that is sold to the public).

If the new macs were AMD then id like it better. I can just immagine... A mac with an Athlon 64 X2. Oh, wait, that can be achieved with a normal computer plus OSx86 :P

mstlyevil
October 22nd, 2005, 02:26 AM
I think Apple made a mistake by not doing business with AMD. You should always leave your options open.

xequence
October 22nd, 2005, 02:28 AM
I think Apple made a mistake by not doing business with AMD. You should always leave your options open.

I aggree with that, I guess it wasnt clear since I added the part that you can get an AMD mac by using OSx86.

mstlyevil
October 22nd, 2005, 02:31 AM
I aggree with that, I guess it wasnt clear since I added the part that you can get an AMD mac by using OSx86.
Oh you were clear. I was just expressing the first thing I thought after you said you can build your own AMD mac. Sorry if I confused you.

xequence
October 22nd, 2005, 02:35 AM
Oh, I get it now :P Its ok, I (atleast I think I do...) get confused easily ;)