PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Crash in Hardy 8.04

DeMus
May 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
When I use the program Openftd (a program to browse through newsgroups) I get logged of, or the computer hangs completely and only the reset button works.
This only happens with that program, everything else works fine. The fact is it has been running fine. I have no idea what I have done which might have caused these problems.
I have tried to un-install it and install it again but I must be doing something wrong since after re-install the program still knows me and all the settings are still there. This means not everything has been thrown away and the program reads all this after the re-install.
I have been in the Openftd forum and there I got the tip to install the latest nVidia driver since: the Gui may never go down by a program.
Here in this forum Pumalite found out there is nothing wrong with my video driver. Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong?
When answering please tell me what to do since I am a new Linux user and I still don't know my way around the OS.

Thanks,
DeMus

wpshooter
May 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
I know you probably won't want to do this but my question would be does this problem happen if this program/application is ran under Gutsy ?

My "guess" is that some change made to the Hardy version of Ubuntu has indirectly broken your applications functionality.

I will see if I can run your application on my Gutsy machine when I get home in about 2 hours.

Thanks.

wpshooter
May 22nd, 2008, 02:34 AM
Well took me a bit more than 2 hours to get home.

Have you ever had this program "Openftd" to run properly in ANY version of Ubuntu.

I see that this program is NOT part of/found in Synaptic package manager of Ubuntu/Gutsy.

Therefore, my "guess" is is that it is NOT properly designed/written to run under the Ubuntu distributions even though I see that it is mentioned on it's website that it is supposedly a "Linux" program.

I have found that if you go outside of Ubuntu's Synaptic package manager, it is likely you are going to have problems. A word to the wise is sufficient !!!

Good luck.

DeMus
May 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
Well took me a bit more than 2 hours to get home.

Have you ever had this program "Openftd" to run properly in ANY version of Ubuntu.

I see that this program is NOT part of/found in Synaptic package manager of Ubuntu/Gutsy.

Therefore, my "guess" is is that it is NOT properly designed/written to run under the Ubuntu distributions even though I see that it is mentioned on it's website that it is supposedly a "Linux" program.

I have found that if you go outside of Ubuntu's Synaptic package manager, it is likely you are going to have problems. A word to the wise is sufficient !!!

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. The thing is the program has run fine, no problems whatsoever. Then suddenly the problems came and I don't know why. Do you know about some kind of log file I can look into to see what might causes it? I would like to use the program and many people do so why not on my machine?

Thanks,
DeMus

wpshooter
May 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Again my "guess" is that some recent update of Ubuntu has broken your program and some change needs to be made to it to bring it in line with the changes in Ubuntu.

I would think that you should try to contact the writer of Openftd and ask them to consider make the necessary change so that it will again work on Ubuntu.

Good luck.

DeMus
December 31st, 2008, 07:38 PM
The program causing all the pain is called Openftd (openftd.org).
When I set the number of postings in the program too high it crashes.
When things are left on their default values it works like a charm.

The program is downloadable from the openftd.org website as a package which can be added to Synaptic.

DeMus