PDA

View Full Version : Am I just being really really lucky?

Naglfari
October 21st, 2005, 11:36 PM
I have been reading over these forums on and off for 3 days, and have made note of all the problems people seem to be having just in case I have to reference the threads again. I installed Ubuntu Warty 3 days ago with a CD set that a friend gave me about 9 months ago. It had been in a desk drawer all that time, after I'd played with the live CD a bit, then put it away. However, that last big Windows crashed did me in and I decided to try it.

The installation was super smooth, found and installed a lot of fun applications, everything worked, even a couple of those stupid little shortcut buttons above the keyboard on the laptop. (I never used them, just tried them with warty for giggles). Anyway, I discovered that I like Ubuntu, so about 6 hours ago, I downloaded 5.10 and burned it to CD. Same result. No problems in the least, everything works (well, except it can't find the modem on the laptop, but I have DSL and don't care).

So, am I just not being adventurous enough to get into trouble, or am I just being really lucky?

bluck
October 21st, 2005, 11:38 PM
I have been reading over these forums on and off for 3 days, and have made note of all the problems people seem to be having just in case I have to reference the threads again. I installed Ubuntu Warty 3 days ago with a CD set that a friend gave me about 9 months ago. It had been in a desk drawer all that time, after I'd played with the live CD a bit, then put it away. However, that last big Windows crashed did me in and I decided to try it.

The installation was super smooth, found and installed a lot of fun applications, everything worked, even a couple of those stupid little shortcut buttons above the keyboard on the laptop. (I never used them, just tried them with warty for giggles). Anyway, I discovered that I like Ubuntu, so about 6 hours ago, I downloaded 5.10 and burned it to CD. Same result. No problems in the least, everything works (well, except it can't find the modem on the laptop, but I have DSL and don't care).

So, am I just not being adventurous enough to get into trouble, or am I just being really lucky?

i think the problems most people have been experiencing are comming from upgrading to breezy from hoary. (correct me if i am wrong)

i have installed 5.10 on quite a few different hardware configurations, without any major hitches.

poofyhairguy
October 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM

Your demands are less specific. Thats the key to being happy with Linux.

az
October 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM
People tend to not ask for help when they do not have problems. That is why most people on the forums are posting about their problems.

Just because three people post that such and such a bad thing happened does not mean that it always happens.

Just as a shot in the dark, for people who do not use their linux box for gaming or dialup internet, I would say that Ubuntu probably only cause about one in ten people some problems. Nine out of ten can run it without any non-gui or non-documented fix.

Does anyone else agree with that?

Naglfari
October 22nd, 2005, 12:35 AM
People tend to not ask for help when they do not have problems. That is why most people on the forums are posting about their problems.

That makes 100% perfect sense, I don't know why I didn't realize that.

bluck
October 22nd, 2005, 12:37 AM

Just because three people post that such and such a bad thing happened does not mean that it always happens.

Just as a shot in the dark, for people who do not use their linux box for gaming or dialup internet, I would say that Ubuntu probably only cause about one in ten people some problems. Nine out of ten can run it without any non-gui or non-documented fix.

Does anyone else agree with that?

you bet. its why i love Ubuntu so much ;)