PDA

View Full Version : Tomcat 6 & Postgresql NIGHTMARE!

thursgun
May 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM
I've tried almost everything.

I just can't make a simple jsp file connect to a postgresql database through tomcat 6.

web.xml , server.xml, bla bla bla.

I've modified a lot (always backing up), but no success at all.

How can i do this.

Please help!. Feel free to post tutorials or guides, but probably I already saw them.

Thanks in advance!

johnl
May 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
The problem is most likely with your java security policy.

You will need to make some changes to the file /etc/tomcat6/policy.d/04webapps.policy (assuming that your tomcat files are in /etc/tomcat6)
Backup the file before messing with it, because if you mess it up (bad syntax, etc) tomcat will not start.

You can either try to find the correct permissions, or grant all permissions.

To grant all permissions, add the following to the beginning of the file:

grant {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
}

If you don't want to do that, you might try something like:

grant {
permission java.net.SocketPermission "address.of.your.postgres.server.com","resolve,connect";
}

Also, check your tomcat log file -- if a security permission is causing the webapp to fail, it should show you what permission you need.

Hope this helps!

thursgun
May 22nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
Thank you johnl for replying.

No, im afraid is not that, :(

All I did was:

Save my .jsp file in tomcat/webapps/myfiles

Maybe I need a WEB-INF folder inside "myfiles" folder. But, what should be inside of it? a web.xml or a context.xml or both? And then, what web.xml or whatever.xml should content?

I'm very confused, beacuse then, we have the web.xml and context.xml inside tomcat/conf folder.

Which one should I modify?

Thanks for any help.

thursgun
May 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
nvm I got it. I'll make blog explaining this for future generations ;) I promise I'll post it here.

librano
April 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Did you make that blog? I also can't get tomcat to connect to postgresql.

alperguclu
May 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Actually johnl's answer completely true.
edit this file
/etc/tomcat6/policy.d/04webapps.policy
add this line in the grant block
permission java.net.SocketPermission "IP address or name of your postgresql server","resolve,connect";

chf
June 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
hello,

@thursgun: did you make that blog? i also have the problem and i searched a lot but i did not foun the appropriate solution. i tried to turn of the security manager, i granted more permission, but it does not work. in my log i get the following exception
Jun 3, 2009 10:12:33 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.UnexpectedException : Service method 'public abstract java.lang.String com.example.servertodatabase.client.GreetingServic e.countUser()' threw an unexpected exception: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission exitVM.1)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.encodeResponseF orFailure(RPC.java:360)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.invokeAndEncode Response(RPC.java:546)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServle t.processCall(RemoteServiceServlet.java:166)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServle t.doPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:86)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:637)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:717)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(Se curityUtil.java:244)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject .java:537)
at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute( SecurityUtil.java:276)
at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPriv ilege(SecurityUtil.java:162)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:283)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.ac cess$000(ApplicationFilterChain.java:56)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1. run(ApplicationFilterChain.java:189)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:185)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:845)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11Conn ectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run( JIoEndpoint.java:447)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission exitVM.1)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (AccessControlContext.java:342)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Acc essController.java:553)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Security Manager.java:549)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkExit(SecurityManage r.java:761)
at java.lang.Runtime.exit(Runtime.java:105)
at java.lang.System.exit(System.java:923)
at com.example.servertodatabase.server.Database.loadJ dbcDriver(Database.java:121)
at com.example.servertodatabase.server.GreetingServic eImpl.countUser(GreetingServiceImpl.java:56)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.invokeAndEncode Response(RPC.java:527)
... 28 more

does someone have an advice? i would really like to solve the problem.

best regards

chf